* RFC: merging GUPC into the GCC trunk?
@ 2010-04-07 15:11 Gary Funck
From: Gary Funck @ 2010-04-07 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC List

Now that GCC 4.5 has been branched from the main line,
it seems that this is an appropriate time to consider
GUPC for inclusion into the GCC trunk.

GUPC was recently checked in as a GCC branch:
http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/gupc.html

What is the recommended process for having GUPC reviewed
(and hopefully, subsequently approved) for being merged
into the GCC mainline?

Thanks,
- Gary

* Re: RFC: merging GUPC into the GCC trunk?
@ 2010-04-07 16:17 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Funck; +Cc: GCC List

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:05, Gary Funck <gary@intrepid.com> wrote:

> What is the recommended process for having GUPC reviewed
> (and hopefully, subsequently approved) for being merged
> into the GCC mainline?

I would suggest splitting patches across reviewer domains.  See
previous merges from big branches for examples.  This makes it easier
for maintainers and reviewers to review the relevant parts.
Additionally, make sure that the branch bootstraps and tests on all
primary/secondary platforms with all languages enabled.

I can help reviewing patches in my areas.  Please CC me, so it lands
on my Inbox.

Presumably, all the other requirements are met?  (copyright paperwork, etc).

Diego.

* Re: RFC: merging GUPC into the GCC trunk?
@ 2010-04-24 18:05 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2010-04-24 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Funck; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Gary Funck wrote:
> What is the recommended process for having GUPC reviewed
> (and hopefully, subsequently approved) for being merged
> into the GCC mainline?

Are there any fixes / enhancements you need in common GCC code?  If
so, submitting those first and separately might make sense (and will
simplify maintaining the branch).

The question beyond that is how important / relevant this is for GCC
mainline?  That's what makes me a bit hesitant since every frontend
does have some cost, and doing this as a plug-in might be an alternative?

Gerald