* make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-16  9:39 Jeff Johnson
From: Jeff Johnson @ 1997-12-16  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi --

I have
	egcs-1.0
	egcs-1.0.diff
	libg++-2.8.0b6.5
	binutils-2.8.1.0.18

and I want to do
	configure --host=i386-redhat-linux --target=sparc-redhat-linux
	make cross

I'm muddling my way through the cross faq.

First question:
	Do I need to apply the crossgcc-gcc-2.7.2.2 patch?

Second question:
	I tried "make cross" and got as far as making libgcc2 before
	missing alloca.h, stdlib.h & string.h. I snarfed these
	and stuffed them (with dependents) in gcc/include. Is this
	correct?

Last question:
	Retrying with added files, I get a signal 11. Now I'm stumped ...
	What to do?

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@jbj.org

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-16 10:31 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-16 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnson; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199712161731.MAA21882@barnstable.jbj.org >you write:

  > First question:
  > 	Do I need to apply the crossgcc-gcc-2.7.2.2 patch?
Unlikely.

  > Second question:
  > 	I tried "make cross" and got as far as making libgcc2 before
  > 	missing alloca.h, stdlib.h & string.h. I snarfed these
  > 	and stuffed them (with dependents) in gcc/include. Is this
  > 	correct?
This indicates that you need target include files.

  > Last question:
  > 	Retrying with added files, I get a signal 11. Now I'm stumped ...
  > 	What to do?
This indicates a bug in the compiler.  The cpp output along with the
compile options & target name please :-)

jeff

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-17  3:26   ` Brederlow
From: Brederlow @ 1997-12-17  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Jeff Johnson

I'm trying to make a egcs 1.0 under hpux with --target=m68k-linux. I
got the following error during 'make cross'

-----------------[ cut ]---------------------------

rm -f include/limits.h
cp xlimits.h include/limits.h
chmod a+r include/limits.h
rm -f include/README
cp ./README-fixinc include/README
chmod a+r include/README
touch stmp-int-hdrs
rm -f gfloat.h
cp ./config/float-i64.h gfloat.h
rm -f include/float.h
cp gfloat.h include/float.h
chmod a+r include/float.h
touch stmp-headers
if [ -f libgcc2.ready ] ; then \
        true; \
else \
        touch libgcc2.ready; \
fi
case " c c++ " in \
*" "[cC]"++ "*) \
  echo tinfo.o tinfo2.o new.o new1.o new2.o exception.o > cplib2.new;; \
*) \
  echo "" > cplib2.new;; \
esac
mv -f cplib2.new cplib2.txt
rm -f tmplibgcc2.a
for name in _muldi3 _divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 _negdi2 _lshrdi3 _ashldi3 _ashrdi3 _ffsdi2 _udiv_w_sdiv _udivmoddi4 _cmpdi2 _ucmpdi2 _floatdidf _floatdisf _fixunsdfsi _fixunssfsi _fixunsdfdi _fixdfdi _fixunssfdi _fixsfdi _fixxfdi _fixunsxfdi _floatdixf _fixunsxfsi _fixtfdi _fixunstfdi _floatditf __gcc_bcmp _varargs __dummy _eprintf _op_new _op_vnew _new_handler _op_delete _op_vdel _bb _shtab _clear_cache _trampoline __main _exit _ctors _eh  _pure; \
do \
  echo ${name}; \
  /opt/share/src/cross/egcs-1.0/gcc/xgcc -B/opt/share/src/cross/egcs-1.0/gcc/ -O2  -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -I./include  -fPIC -g1 -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED -fexceptions   -I. -I. -I./config -c -DL${name} \
      ./libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  m68k-linux-ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/share/src/cross/egcs-1.0/gcc'
make: *** [cross] Error 2

-----------------[ cut ]---------------------------

Is that because I haven't yet build an cross binutils and cross
assembler?

The as and compiler are the following:

>as --version
GNU assembler 970915
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.10'.

>gcc --version
egcs-2.90.21 971202 (egcs-1.00 release)

The egcs was compiled with a previous egcs snapshot and then with
itself again.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-17  7:47     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-17  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnson; +Cc: egcs

  In message < q9n2i0mcsv.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de >you write:
  > I'm trying to make a egcs 1.0 under hpux with --target=m68k-linux. I
  > got the following error during 'make cross'
  > _muldi3
  > as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
You need a cross assembler.  You'll also need other cross tools from
binutils.

jeff

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-18 10:05       ` Brederlow
From: Brederlow @ 1997-12-18 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Jeff Johnson

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

>   In message < q9n2i0mcsv.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de >you write:
>   > I'm trying to make a egcs 1.0 under hpux with --target=m68k-linux. I
>   > got the following error during 'make cross'
>   > _muldi3
>   > as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
> You need a cross assembler.  You'll also need other cross tools from
> binutils.

I have binutils compiled with --target=m68k and have it installed in
/opt/share/cross. After that I restarted the make cross for egcs again
and it went one a bit. After a short while it came up with missing
include file stdio.h. I tried to copy the include files from the glibc
to /opt/share/cross/include and set the cross include directory in the
egcs Makefile. It then found the stdio.h, but it couldn't find any
iincludefile that was in a subdirectory (like sys/), whereas the sys
dir and the file was there.

Any idea whats wrong there? Shouldn't configure ask for the cross
includedirectory?

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1997-12-28 12:07         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-28 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brederlow; +Cc: egcs, Jeff Johnson

  In message < q9iusmmssk.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de >you write:
  > and it went one a bit. After a short while it came up with missing
  > include file stdio.h. I tried to copy the include files from the glibc
  > to /opt/share/cross/include and set the cross include directory in the
  > egcs Makefile. It then found the stdio.h, but it couldn't find any
  > iincludefile that was in a subdirectory (like sys/), whereas the sys
  > dir and the file was there.
As you realized this indicates that the compiler isn't finding the
cross include files.

Are there actually any "sys" include files in /opt/share/cross/include?

  > Any idea whats wrong there? Shouldn't configure ask for the cross
  > includedirectory?
There's options to set the cross include directory.  By default it
is $(libsubdir)/sys-include

jeff

* Re: make cross with egcs?
@ 1998-01-07  7:51           ` Brederlow
From: Brederlow @ 1998-01-07  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Brederlow, egcs, Jeff Johnson

Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com> writes:

>   In message <q9iusmmssk.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>you write:
>   > and it went one a bit. After a short while it came up with missing
>   > include file stdio.h. I tried to copy the include files from the glibc
>   > to /opt/share/cross/include and set the cross include directory in the
>   > egcs Makefile. It then found the stdio.h, but it couldn't find any
>   > iincludefile that was in a subdirectory (like sys/), whereas the sys
>   > dir and the file was there.
> As you realized this indicates that the compiler isn't finding the
> cross include files.
>
> Are there actually any "sys" include files in /opt/share/cross/include?

/opt/share/cross/include/stdio.h (and others) exist, also
/opt/share/cross/include/sys/... exists, but thos aren't found
(stdio.h is found). It seems that it doesn't search in the
subdirectories for recursive includes.

>   > Any idea whats wrong there? Shouldn't configure ask for the cross
>   > includedirectory?
> There's options to set the cross include directory.  By default it
> is $(libsubdir)/sys-include

The configure should check if they exist in the default path I would
think, but thanks for pointing out the option.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn