* Re: gen-params problem
       [not found] <199804211222.OAA07035.cygnus.egcs@penfeld.tls.mms.fr>
@ 1998-04-22  9:05 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1998-04-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

sxthree@penfeld.tls.mms.fr (SXTHREE) writes:

> Since some OSes do not perform a final link (do not
> produce an executable, but instead an object that may
> still contain relocations) we should not rely on that
> behaviour.

Which OSes do you refer to?

The mechanism to use linking is used in all GNU packages.  There
shouldn't be a problem except for embedded platforms which will be
treated special.

> Since when _G_HAVE_PRINTF_FP is defined, printf.h
> is included (in iostream.cc), we should check for
> the presence of this file.

This is not ok since the header is also present in some situations
where the function is not available.

-- Uli

* Re: gen-params problem
@ 1998-04-24 16:23 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SXTHREE; +Cc: drepper, egcs

  In message < 199804230705.JAA08541@penfeld.tls.mms.fr >you write:

  > > Which OSes do you refer to?
  >
  > > The mechanism to use linking is used in all GNU packages.  There
  > > shouldn't be a problem except for embedded platforms which will be
  > > treated special.
  >
  > Indeed it is an embedded platform (VxWorks).
Actually VxWorks is pretty special in this regard -- I don't think
other embedded targets have this problem.

jeff

* Re: gen-params problem
@ 1998-04-23  9:01 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1998-04-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SXTHREE; +Cc: egcs

sxthree@penfeld.tls.mms.fr (SXTHREE) writes:

> OK, then the only solution seems to be making some specific code
> for handling special OSes.

This is how it will be.  I have no solution at hand in the moment, though.
In theory, gen-params shouldn't run for embedded platforms.

> One strange thing is that I've successfully built egcs-1.02 release
> for a m68k-wrs-vxworks5 platform and I've got many problems with
> egcs-19980411 for powerpc-wrs-vxworks5.3.
> What are the major differences regarding _G_HAVE_PRINTF_FP ?

There are none.  This definition is meaningless for all these
platforms.  The only difference can be that the tools on m68k work
different than on ppc and so linking did not succeed on m68k.

-- Uli

* Re: gen-params problem
@ 1998-04-23  0:06 SXTHREE
From: SXTHREE @ 1998-04-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper; +Cc: egcs

> Which OSes do you refer to?

> The mechanism to use linking is used in all GNU packages.  There
> shouldn't be a problem except for embedded platforms which will be
> treated special.

Indeed it is an embedded platform (VxWorks).

> > Since when _G_HAVE_PRINTF_FP is defined, printf.h
> > is included (in iostream.cc), we should check for
> > the presence of this file.

> This is not ok since the header is also present in some situations
> where the function is not available.

OK, then the only solution seems to be making some specific code
for handling special OSes.

One strange thing is that I've successfully built egcs-1.02 release
for a m68k-wrs-vxworks5 platform and I've got many problems with
egcs-19980411 for powerpc-wrs-vxworks5.3.
What are the major differences regarding _G_HAVE_PRINTF_FP ?

FM

* gen-params problem
@ 1998-04-21  6:52 SXTHREE
From: SXTHREE @ 1998-04-21  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

While checking for the availability of __printf_fp,
gen-params expects the linker to return an error
while trying to link a program using __printf_fp
if it is undefined.

Since some OSes do not perform a final link (do not
produce an executable, but instead an object that may
still contain relocations) we should not rely on that
behaviour.

Since when _G_HAVE_PRINTF_FP is defined, printf.h
is included (in iostream.cc), we should check for
the presence of this file.

Following patch works for me:
diff gen-params.old gen-params
707,712c707