From: Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
To: Rishi Raj <rishiraj45035@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GSOC] Looking for small patch/project to work on
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 13:52:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

we are delighted that you decided to apply for GSoC and that you have
chosen GCC as the organization.

On Sat, Mar 04 2023, Rishi Raj via Gcc wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Rishi Raj, and I am a third-year undergraduate studying Computer
> Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in
> India. I wish to participate in this year's GSOC with GCC.
>
> My progress so far:
>
>    1. Successfully built the GCC from source using the installing gcc
>    guide. (I will run the test suite today.)
>    2. Read about different configuration options during installations and
>    also went through the gcc-newbies-guide, which was an exciting read and
>    provided an overview of how to proceed in gcc-contribution. I want to
>    extend my appreciation to David for this.
>
> After reading about the suggested projects described on GCC's GSOC page, I
> found "Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files" and "C++:
> Implement compiler built-in traits for the standard library traits"
> interesting. Currently, I am examining the preliminary patch
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-09/msg00340.html for the first
> project.

Please note that both projects have already been discussed on the
mailing list.  For information about the first one definitely have a
look at https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html

The C++ traits project has been discussed at least in
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-February/240816.html

If you have any questions after reading through the above, feel free to
email the mailing list again.

> I can work on a small project/patch after this in a day or two. I
> would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the same.

Unfortunately, there just are not many "small" projects that a newcomer
would complete in "a day or two."  I can only endorse what David wrote
to you in his email.

> I have taken compiler theory and laboratory courses as a part of my
> institute curriculum. In the laboratory, we designed a tiny-c compiler (a
> subset of GCC). In theory, I learned about different phases of
> compilations, various optimization techniques, etc.
>
> Please find my course website link for a detailed overview:
> https://cse.iitkgp.ac.in/~bivasm/compiler2022.html#Lecture

That looks like a nice course after which you are likely to be familiar
with the necessary concepts for GCC work.

Good luck!

Martin