* Queries on GSoC project on OMPD interface
@ 2018-03-12 13:45 #LIU SIYUAN#
From: #LIU SIYUAN# @ 2018-03-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear all,

Hi, my name is Siyuan and this is my first time using the GCC mailing list!

I’m a senior CS student from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore who is interested in the GSOC project related to OMPD.

I personally have experience in C/C++ (development and performance optimization). I have also taken compiler course and implemented a mini-compiler (https://github.com/koallen/mini-go).

I participated in student cluster competitions so I also have experience in parallel computing (OpenMP, CUDA, MPI, etc.). And that’s why I’m particularly interested in the OMPD project.

Could you give me further information if I’m intending to apply for GSoC for this project?

Here are a few more links that you may find useful:
- My homepage & blog (https://shawnliu.me)
- My resume (https://shawnliu.me/files/siyuan_resume.pdf)
- My GitHub (https://github.com/koallen)

Regards,
Siyuan

* Re: Queries on GSoC project on OMPD interface
@ 2018-03-14 17:01 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-03-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LIU SIYUAN, gcc; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek

Hello Siyuan,

On Mon, Mar 12 2018, LIU SIYUAN wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hi, my name is Siyuan and this is my first time using the GCC mailing list!

Welcome!

> I’m a senior CS student from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore who is interested in the GSOC project related to OMPD.
>
> I personally have experience in C/C++ (development and performance optimization). I have also taken compiler course and implemented a mini-compiler (https://github.com/koallen/mini-go).
>
> I participated in student cluster competitions so I also have experience in parallel computing (OpenMP, CUDA, MPI, etc.). And that’s why I’m particularly interested in the OMPD project.
>
> Could you give me further information if I’m intending to apply for GSoC for this project?

We can, but what kind of information are you looking for?

First and foremost, please get GCC sources and make sure you can build
GCC from them and then run the testsuite.  If you need it, the following
links should help you:

  - How to check out our sources using svn and git is described at
    https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GitMirror
    respectively.

  - Steps linked from https://gcc.gnu.org/install/ show you how to
    configure, build and test GCC is described in (look for
    --disable-bootstrap, among other things).

  - You may also want to look at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC
    and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted wiki pages.

For the OMPD task, you will primarily want to look at the OMP run-time
that is in the libgomp subdirectory (and on the libgomp.exp part of the
testsuite).  You will probably also want to have a look at how to build
GDB.

The OMPD itself is described in the latest TR of the upcoming version of
the OpenMP standard:
http://www.openmp.org/wp-content/uploads/openmp-TR6.pdf

I assume that once you familiarize with the standard and look at how the
OpenMP run-time is organized (at least roughly), you will want to reach
out to Jakub (CCed) to figure out how to structure your work.

Good luck!

Martin

* Re: Queries on GSoC project on OMPD interface
@ 2018-03-15 11:35   ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2018-03-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: LIU SIYUAN, gcc

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 06:01:20PM +0100, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hello Siyuan,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12 2018, LIU SIYUAN wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Hi, my name is Siyuan and this is my first time using the GCC mailing list!
>
> Welcome!

Yeah, welcome.

> For the OMPD task, you will primarily want to look at the OMP run-time
> that is in the libgomp subdirectory (and on the libgomp.exp part of the
> testsuite).  You will probably also want to have a look at how to build
> GDB.
>
> The OMPD itself is described in the latest TR of the upcoming version of
> the OpenMP standard:
> http://www.openmp.org/wp-content/uploads/openmp-TR6.pdf
>
> I assume that once you familiarize with the standard and look at how the
> OpenMP run-time is organized (at least roughly), you will want to reach
> out to Jakub (CCed) to figure out how to structure your work.

The task would be to add the libgompd.so.1 library and header files which implement the
APIs in the 4.2 OMPD section of the above spec (and any further changes that
get ratified into upcoming OpenMP 5.0) and any necessary changes on the
libgomp.so.1 side needed for that.  For the latter, it is important to make
sure the changes don't slow the runtime down, or don't slow it down
significantly if there is no other way, and it would be nice to use some
framework like https://infinitynotes.org/wiki/Infinity to communicate
structure offsets, flags, etc. between the libgompd.so.1 and libgomp.so.1,
so that if possible a debugger could bypass the plugin library and e.g. for
performance reasons use the bytecode directly or that one version of the
plugin can deal with slightly different version of the runtime library (e.g.
for the case of running debugger in one platform and gdb server + libgomp on
another one).

	Jakub