* [GSoC 2019]: Interested in "Make C/C++ not automatically promote memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire"
@ 2019-03-12  7:04 Akshatg
From: Akshatg @ 2019-03-12  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: paulmckrcu

Hello all,

I'm a 2nd year Master's student at IIT Bombay. I have taken advance
compiler related courses in the past semesters. I'm interested to work
on the project "Make C/C++ not automatically promote
memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire" this summer. I have read
the documents shared.

Kindly, let me know what I can do next to make my proposal stronger?

Thanks,
Akshat

* Re: [GSoC 2019]: Interested in "Make C/C++ not automatically promote memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire"
@ 2019-03-27  8:30 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2019-03-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akshatg, gcc; +Cc: paulmckrcu

Hello Akshatg,

On Tue, Mar 12 2019, Akshatg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a 2nd year Master's student at IIT Bombay. I have taken advance
> compiler related courses in the past semesters. I'm interested to work
> on the project "Make C/C++ not automatically promote
> memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire" this summer. I have read
> the documents shared.

We are glad that you find contributing to GCC interesting, I have
already talked with Paul about you and the project a little.

> Kindly, let me know what I can do next to make my proposal stronger?

If you have not done so yet, please look at the "Before you apply"
section of the idea page
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and make sure you
are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it generate dumps
and step through some function during compilation.  In your case, you
will most likely want to start at how built-in functions representing
atomic operations are defined in sync-builtins.def and used throughout
the compiler.  Grep is your friend.  Feel free to ask here on the list
if there is anything specific you don't understand or would like to
know.

Good luck,

Martin

* [GSoC 2019]: Interested in "Make C/C++ not automatically promote memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire"
@ 2019-02-18 20:35 akshatg
From: akshatg @ 2019-02-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello all,

I am a 2nd year Master's student at IIT Bombay. The project "Make C/C++
not automatically promote memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire"
caught my eye and I would like to be the part of it. I have taken
advance compiler courses in past semesters. I have already build gcc and
have gone through this document P0190R4:Proposal for New memory order
consume Definition
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0190r4.pdf).
Can anyone suggest some more prerequisites ?

Thanks,
Akshat Garg