* Gcc Plugin Api
@ 2018-06-15 18:22 Shubham Narlawar
From: Shubham Narlawar @ 2018-06-15 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: dmalcolm

Hello all, I have been figuring out to work on some project. So while
searching I found GCC Plugin API project quite interesting.
So, please can I get some more information and links about gcc Plugin API
project.
Can anyone help me please.

* Re: Gcc Plugin Api
@ 2018-06-15 20:52 ` U.Mutlu
From: U.Mutlu @ 2018-06-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shubham Narlawar; +Cc: gcc

Shubham Narlawar wrote on 06/15/2018 08:01 PM:
> Hello all, I have been figuring out to work on some project. So while
> searching I found GCC Plugin API project quite interesting.
> So, please can I get some more information and links about gcc Plugin API
> project.
> Can anyone help me please.

Here's an interessting step-by-step sample plugin project in 3 parts:
   https://thinkingeek.com/2015/08/16/a-simple-plugin-for-gcc-part-1/
   https://thinkingeek.com/2015/08/16/simple-plugin-gcc-part-2/
   https://thinkingeek.com/2015/08/17/simple-plugin-gcc-part-3/

And of course the official docs:
   https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/plugins
   https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Plugins.html

* Re: Gcc Plugin Api
@ 2018-06-18 15:06 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-06-18 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shubham Narlawar, gcc; +Cc: dmalcolm

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 15 2018, Shubham Narlawar wrote:
> Hello all, I have been figuring out to work on some project. So while
> searching I found GCC Plugin API project quite interesting.
> So, please can I get some more information and links about gcc Plugin API
> project.
> Can anyone help me please.

If you are referring to the Google Summer of Code project idea we have
on the wiki, the idea of the project is to create a nice semi-stable
and, above all, well-defined API for GCC plugins.  Currently, we just
export tons of internal functions in a semi-random fashion and plugins
use them directly.  The idea is to allow most, and eventually all,
plugins to do their work via an API that 1) would be easy to use for
people who know basics concepts of compilers but not about GCC
internals, 2) would allow almost any introspection (for extra
domain-specific warnings and analysis) and 3) also limited IL
modification to facilitate the most common instrumentation tasks.

Ideally, some existing plugins would be converted to the new API.  Over
the time, restrictions in point 3 above would be gradually alleviated
until the API is good for almost everyone.

At least that is my idea of the project,

Martin