* GNU fortran compiler
@ 1999-06-17 10:13 Kirsten Menking
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kirsten Menking @ 1999-06-17 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I recently bought RedHat Linux for my Windows NT Machine.  It came with the
GNU g77 fortran compiler.  I am having trouble getting the compiler to work
properly.  On typing g77 filename.f the compiler acts as though it has
compiled the program.  It generates an a.out file, but the a.out file is
not executable.

I am a relative neophyte to all of this stuff and have mostly used a
Fortran 77 compiler developed by Sun for its workstations.  I did not set
up the Sun workstation on which I have been working, so I have no idea what
steps have to be taken to make the a.out executable.  Can you help?

Thanks,

Kirsten Menking

* Re: GNU fortran compiler
@ 1999-06-17 13:04 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-06-17 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirsten Menking; +Cc: egcs

 KM> I am a relative neophyte to all of this stuff and have mostly
 KM> used a Fortran 77 compiler developed by Sun for its workstations.
 KM> I did not set up the Sun workstation on which I have been
 KM> working, so I have no idea what steps have to be taken to make
 KM> the a.out executable.  Can you help?

It's not significantly different from on a Sun.  This is RedHat 5.2
GNU/Linux, not that that should be relevant:

$ cat >a.f
       print *, 'hello, world'
       end
$ g77 a.f
$ ls -l a.out
-rwxr-xr-x   1 fx       dlamoluv   154877 Jun 17 21:00 a.out
$ ./a.out
 hello, world
$

* Re: GNU fortran compiler
@ 1999-06-17 14:14 ` craig
From: craig @ 1999-06-17 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kimenking; +Cc: craig

>I recently bought RedHat Linux for my Windows NT Machine.  It came with the
>GNU g77 fortran compiler.  I am having trouble getting the compiler to work
>properly.  On typing g77 filename.f the compiler acts as though it has
>compiled the program.  It generates an a.out file, but the a.out file is
>not executable.
>
>I am a relative neophyte to all of this stuff and have mostly used a
>Fortran 77 compiler developed by Sun for its workstations.  I did not set
>up the Sun workstation on which I have been working, so I have no idea what
>steps have to be taken to make the a.out executable.  Can you help?

Sounds like a Redhat problem.  Please ask Redhat for help, check
the g77 docs, and so on.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: GNU fortran compiler
@ 1999-06-30 15:43   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirsten Menking; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-06-30 15:43   ` craig
From: craig @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kimenking; +Cc: craig

@ 1999-06-30 15:43 ` Kirsten Menking
From: Kirsten Menking @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 2005-08-05 16:39     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-08-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Nicholas Nethercote @ 2005-08-05 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

>> Hallo,
>> what must I do for becomming the GNU Fortran Compiler?
>> Sincerely, Hans.
>
> <zen>To become the compiler, you must _think_ like the compiler.</zen>

It's an easy mistake to make for Germans speaking English, because the
German verb "bekommen" means "to get, obtain, receive"...

Nick

* Re: GNU Fortran Compiler
@ 2005-08-05 16:03 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2005-08-05 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hvkarl; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:52:20PM +0200, hvkarl@web.de wrote:

> what must I do for becomming the GNU Fortran Compiler?

If you are running a recent Linux distribution that includes GCC
4, you should already have it.  Try 'gfortran'.

If not, you can find binaries at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

* RE: GNU Fortran Compiler
@ 2005-08-05 15:59 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-08-05 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
> what must I do for becomming the GNU Fortran Compiler?
> Sincerely, Hans.

<zen>To become the compiler, you must _think_ like the compiler.</zen>

    cheers,
      DaveK

* GNU Fortran Compiler
@ 2005-08-05 15:52 hvkarl