* New Language
@ 1999-03-15 18:41 pip
From: pip @ 1999-03-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I have started looking into adding support for a new language. Is there
anything in terms of documentation/references in particular that I should
look at ?

Thanks.
-
pip

* Re: New Language
@ 1999-03-16  7:38 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-03-16  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pip; +Cc: egcs

Fergus Henderson ha[sd] a toy example front end at
sure how useful it is generally; it didn't help me greatly
understanding the Fortran front end, but helping me with that probably
isn't representative :-/.  I think it used to be mentioned in the
LITERATURE file (now removed).

* Re: New Language
@ 1999-03-31 23:46   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pip; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` pip
From: pip @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-06-15 10:56   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-06-15 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

On 16 Mar 1999, Dave Love wrote:
> I think it used to be mentioned in the LITERATURE file (now removed).

Actually LITERATURE has only moved, namely to readings.html on our
website.

I have just added a direct link to the navigation bar on the left.

Gerald

* Re: New Language
@ 1999-06-17 13:10     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-06-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 GP> On 16 Mar 1999, Dave Love wrote:
 >> I think it used to be mentioned in the LITERATURE file (now removed).

 GP> Actually LITERATURE has only moved, namely to readings.html on our
 GP> website.

Well, it has gone from the distribution.  I still think it's a
retrograde step not to distribute documentation.

* Re: New Language
@ 1999-06-17 14:08       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1999-06-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

>  GP> Actually LITERATURE has only moved, namely to readings.html on our
>  GP> website.
>
> Well, it has gone from the distribution.  I still think it's a
> retrograde step not to distribute documentation.

LITERATURE wasn't really documentation, just a list of references.  It
consists almost entirely of hyperlinks, so it works better as web pages
anyway.

Folks that want a local copy of the egcs web pages can get them by CVS;
perhaps a tarball could be put together as well.

* Re: New Language
@ 1999-06-30 15:43       ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-06-30 15:43         ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-06-30 15:43     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Love; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46     ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: egcs, pip

> Basically all you have to do, it do up your parse, build tree codes to
> represent the semantics of it, call expand_expr on it, and your done.
> :-) Right Per?  There are just a few missing pieces that you'd need to
> learn before that will just work.  Watching how C or C++ works is one
> way to get started.

I think the CHILL front-end was also published to serve as a basis for
front-end work (and, I guess, just because it was there).

Regards,
Martin

* Re: New Language
       [not found] ` < 199903160336.TAA12332@kankakee.wrs.com >
@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, pip

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:21:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: <pip@cpu.khimaira.com>
> To: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com

> I have started looking into adding support for a new language. Is
> there anything in terms of documentation/references in particular
> that I should look at ?

Not a whole lot has been written about this.  Kenner is rumored to
have written a document describing it...  If you find a pointer to it,
be sure to get us to put in a link to it.

@ 1999-03-16 15:45   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-03-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: egcs, pip

@ 1999-03-15 19:36 Mike Stump