* egcs and g77
@ 1998-07-03 14:48 Juan Casero
From: Juan Casero @ 1998-07-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Greetings everyone -

I have been using egcs for some time now on my RedHat 5.0 Linux box with
no problems.  The compiler seems to generate very efficient and stable
code.  I do not wish to start a debate about the merits of g77 or f2c
but my past experience with g77 has been that it often either fails to
compile standard fortran 77 code or it generates the wrong code when
compiled with optimizations turned on.  I plan to write some Fortran 77
code and I expect I will need to debug it with DDD.  Therefore I need to
use g77 to compile my code but I hesitate  to use it because of my
previous experience with the front end.  Has g77 received the same
attention and improvements as gcc in the egcs development project?  Can
I trust g77 to reliably generate the proper code with optimizations
turned on?  As I said I really don't want to start a debate so please a
simple yae or nae ( feel free to elaborate as long as it doesn't become
argumentative) will suffice.

Thank You.

--
Juan Casero