From: "Marty Hauff" <marty.hauff@rmit.edu.au>
To: <dnovillo@redhat.com>
Cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [tree-ssa] Any good sources of documentation?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Hardware resources?  I'm not sure I follow.  There is >nothing
>hardware-related in trees.

Just FYI...  When developing a new application, most programmers have a fair idea about what processor they are going to use.  In the high volume embedded world, however, it may not be clear which is the best cost/performance architecture to use.  What I am trying to research is a methodology that will specify the best hardware to use based on the functionality requested by the application code.  From what I understand of the compilation process in GCC, trees are the latest point during compilation prior to machine specific constructs being introduced.  Once the code is converted to RTL it begins to take on machine specific attributes - i.e. RTL is generated based on the templates provided in the machine description file.  In order to make a non-prejudicial assessment of the best architecture for a given application, I can't use RTL because machine specific mappings and optimisations have already taken place.  It may be that the point at which first RTL conversion takes place may be the point I need to focus on but I'm still nutting that one through.  I am hoping to first extract sufficient information from the trees to determine whether CISC or RISC is appropriate and then whether an 8/16/32/64 bit architecture is best, how many registers and what sort and how many ALUs and what functionality.
All very interesting but bloody hard!

Enjoy
Marty

If you find yourself going through hell ... keep going!