* scheduling on VLIW architecture
@ 2010-05-06  9:47 roy rosen
From: roy rosen @ 2010-05-06  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all.

I work on a VLIW architecture.
The sched2 pass adds a TImode to insns which should start a new issue group.
But, after this pass, other passes change the insns, so the sched2
work that was done is not correct anymore (the groups of insns might
be invalid).

In particular I see that the compgotos pass deletes and inserts jump
insns without being aware of the TI attributes which on my port leads
to an error.

What am I doing wrong? Should I move the sched2 pass to be the last?

Thanks, Roy.

* Re: scheduling on VLIW architecture
@ 2010-05-06  9:57 ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2010-05-06  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roy rosen; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM, roy rosen <roy.1rosen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I work on a VLIW architecture.
> The sched2 pass adds a TImode to insns which should start a new issue group.
> But, after this pass, other passes change the insns, so the sched2
> work that was done is not correct anymore (the groups of insns might
> be invalid).
>
> In particular I see that the compgotos pass deletes and inserts jump
> insns without being aware of the TI attributes which on my port leads
> to an error.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Should I move the sched2 pass to be the last?

Yes -- or at least this is what the ia64 back end does. See
config/ia64/ia64.c:ia64_reorg(), and look in passes.c for
pass_machine_reorg to see what else runs after pass_machine_reorg,
check if there is a pass that may still change insns for your port
(e.g. shorten-branches).

Ciao!
Steven