* C++ <limits> header file
@ 1999-03-01  5:31 D. Vrabel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: D. Vrabel @ 1999-03-01  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi,

I noticed that my version of egcs (1.0.3) doesn't come with the standard
C++ header file <limits> (which defines the numeric_limits class) so I
wrote my own.  It's based on an out of date standards document (2-12-9996)
and is currently incomplete as I don't know what some of the values are.

Would anybody be interested in it?

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

* Re: C++ <limits> header file
@ 1999-03-01  9:15 ` Alexandre Oliva
       [not found] ` <oriuclf83w.fsf.cygnus.egcs@araguaia.dcc.unicamp.br>
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-03-01  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Vrabel; +Cc: egcs

On Mar  1, 1999, "D. Vrabel" <dv207@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I noticed that my version of egcs (1.0.3) doesn't come with the standard
> C++ header file <limits> (which defines the numeric_limits class) so I
> wrote my own.

Too bad you didn't notice they're already implemented in libstdc++-v3
(sourceware.cygnus.com) :-(

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}

* Re: C++ <limits> header file
       [not found] ` <oriuclf83w.fsf.cygnus.egcs@araguaia.dcc.unicamp.br>
@ 1999-03-01 10:31   ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 1999-03-01 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: egcs, libstdc++-v3

 > On Mar  1, 1999, "D. Vrabel" <dv207@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
 >> I noticed that my version of egcs (1.0.3) doesn't come with the standard
 >> C++ header file <limits> (which defines the numeric_limits class) so I
 >> wrote my own.

 > Too bad you didn't notice they're already implemented in libstdc++-v3
 > (sourceware.cygnus.com) :-(

Not really.  The version there is lifted from SGI STL, and is
MIPS-specific.  We should be generating it from enquire.

Jason

* C++ <limits> header file
       [not found] ` <oriuclf83w.fsf.cygnus.egcs@araguaia.dcc.unicamp.br>
@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` D. Vrabel
From: D. Vrabel @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Vrabel; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46     ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: egcs, libstdc++-v3

@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` peeter joot
From: peeter joot @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason; +Cc: egcs, libstdc++-v3, oliva, dv207

> > Too bad you didn't notice they're already implemented in libstdc++-v3
> > (sourceware.cygnus.com) :-(
>
>  Not really.  The version there is lifted from SGI STL, and is
>  MIPS-specific.  We should be generating it from enquire.

I have enquire modifications that I posted about a year ago for this.
I had posted this to the egcs list get some feedback because I didn't know
what to do with the signalling non-signalling nan stuff -- I basically
guessed at that part, but I didn't care too much at the time since I wasn't
using that part of numeric_limits<>.

I have since found out what these are (the intel assembly documention explains
these nicely), but I haven't touched this <limits> stuff since then, and these
problems still have to be addressed.

My approach was to have an input file and have enquire generate a sed script
that could be used to create a final <limits> header.  This way I didn't have
to embed the whole text or needlessly complicate enquire.

My enquire patch and the <limits> input file are still at:

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Feb/0938.html

It seems that nobody noticed or was interested at the time -- with either
some feedback or some help, this could be polished up for inclusion without
too much work.

Peeter
--
Peeter Joot                                          peeterj@ca.ibm.com
IBM DB2 Operating System Services

* Re: C++ <limits> header file
@ 1999-03-31 23:46   ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peeter_joot; +Cc: jason, egcs, libstdc++-v3, oliva, dv207

[...]

> My enquire patch and the <limits> input file are still at:

> http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Feb/0938.html

> It seems that nobody noticed or was interested at the time -- with either
> some feedback or some help, this could be polished up for inclusion without
> too much work.

I didn't notice your patch. I'll take at look at it and post
comments. Thanks.

-- Gaby

* Re: C++ <limits> header file
@ 1999-03-06  8:58 ` Gabriel Dos Reis