* Re: RFH - Testing targets for the switch to C++
@ 2012-04-07 20:09 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2012-04-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo, gcc

For *-rtems* all test results are cross with tests run on simulators. We use a native compiler bulit from the same source for testing. Newlib is the C library and built at the same time.

Do we need to enable any special flags from our existing configure?

FWIW we have a few targets where the simulator is limited in memory and many tests fail. These get rejected because the mail message is too large. If someone is willing to help us trim things so the known failures get skipped, it would be appreciated. We would report more. :)

--joel
RTEMS

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 13:15, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> wrote:
>
>> I would expect most problems to be related to the host, and more
>> specifically the compiler used to initiate the build, not so much the
>> target. Or is this aiming specifically for targets that only get
>> cross-compilers and thus don't have stage 2 and haven't been tested with a
>> C++ compiler yet?
>
>You are right that it is mainly an issue for the host.  But some of
>the target code gets only exposed when building for that target, and I
>figured that the targets reported in gcc-testresults are tested in a
>variety of hosts.  Hence my call for help.  I want to get as much
>testing variety as possible.
>
>> For build issues with other compilers, 50167 and 50177 are still open (last
>> time I looked, I couldn't find the meta-bug about switching to C++ in stage1
>> to add them as blockers).
>
>Thanks.  I will take a look.  If there is no meta bug, I'll create one.
>

>Diego.

* RFH - Testing targets for the switch to C++
@ 2012-04-06 22:55 Diego Novillo
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Diego Novillo @ 2012-04-06 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have started testing the switch to C++ and there is a pile of
testing to be done.  The testing itself is trivial, but the number of
targets that need to be tested is large and I don't have access to all
these combinations.

My proposal is to make sure that C++ builds work with:

- Primary targets
- Secondary targets
- Any other targets that people regularly test.

The first two items are easy to define.  I took them from
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/criteria.html.

The third item I populated from gcc-testresults postings in 2011.
This gave me a list of 136 targets.  Further, I sorted them by the
number of test reports sent, to determine an idea of "popularity".  I
removed from the list all the targets that had a popularity index
lower than 0.01%.

This is still a large list (about 109 entries), but there are several
overlapping entries (like different flavours of the same basic
target), so it should not be too bad.

The testing plan is, then, to go through this table to make sure that
we can build all of them with C++ enabled for all stages.

I have created a wiki page to track testing progress:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CppBuildStatus

My plea for help is to everyone who has access to the targets
mentioned in the list: please follow the instructions in that page and
fill-in the table entries of the targets that you tested.

If you see a missing target that should be tested, by all means, add
it to the list.

Thanks.  Diego.