From: Brett Dikeman <brett@arthur.malebolge.com>
To: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: as problem, PPC
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 02:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

At 12:46 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> I suggest you contact whomever sets up the RPM (I assume these are
I spoke with someone who used the same stuff, and he was not able to
identify my problem.

> some kind of "package install" systems?).
sorry, I thought everyone was familiar with RPM's.
Redhat Package Manager
By RedHat.
Basically, a smart, compressed tarball.  It can run install/removal
scripts, and checks for dependencies(ie, package less-X.yz needs
libncursesX.zy.)
Comes in two flavors: SRPMs(source RPMs) and RPMs(which usually contain the
compiled, end result.)
RPM is a Linux thing, and [S]RPMs are built by anyone who wants to; there
is no rpm head-hauncho :)

As many have pointed out, posting RPMs made by Joe Shmoe to big sites is
like giving Joe Shmoe root access to hundreds or thousands of systems.
Convenience vs. Security.  The age old problem.

Still, I don't understand the message. Oh well.  I'll ask the Linux-pmac
group and see what they say.

Brett

------
Brett Dikeman
dikemanb@stu.beloit.edu dikemanb@edison.ma.ultranet.com
~)-|
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt.  Qui annus est?
Te audire non possum.  Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
------