* as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-02 22:27 Brett Dikeman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brett Dikeman @ 1997-11-02 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

<grrr>
Ok, I just installed two RPM's from someone who built egcs on the Linux-ppc
platform.(10-26 snapshot I believe.)
After uninstalling gcc and gcc-c++ packages, I installed the two RPM's
containing egcs-c and egcs-c++.  Both installed fine.
I also installed an RPM with binutils-2.8.1.0.11, which went fine as well.

However, every time I compile something, it dies with a fatal error,
reporting that it "can't execute 'as', no such file or directory."
Weeeelll, ok, so I copy /usr/bin/as to
/usr/lib/....etc..../ppc-linux/egcs...etc.../as

well, now it reports:
"can't execute '/usr/lib/<snip>/as', no such file or directory."
(I simlified the paths with ...'s and etc's and <snip>, egcs didn't print
that out :)

So, I get curious:
$/usr/bin/as
bash: /usr/bin/as: no such file or directory

what the???

The only time I've seen this is when I messed up the shabang in a
shell/perl script and bash couldn't execute it, but I've _never_ seen a
binary do this!

Any ideas/suggestions?  Could it be generating this message because it
can't find a shared lib(I thought this was usually very explicitly reported
as something like "missing libraries X, Y, Z")?

Brett

------
Brett Dikeman
dikemanb@stu.beloit.edu dikemanb@edison.ma.ultranet.com
~)-|
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt.  Qui annus est?
Te audire non possum.  Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
------

* Re: as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-02 22:44 ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found] ` <199711031351.KAA04460@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-11-02 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: egcs

  In message < v03102803b08309654df5@[144.89.161.9] >you write:
  > <grrr>
  > Ok, I just installed two RPM's from someone who built egcs on the Linux-ppc
  > platform.(10-26 snapshot I believe.)
  > After uninstalling gcc and gcc-c++ packages, I installed the two RPM's
  > containing egcs-c and egcs-c++.  Both installed fine.
  > I also installed an RPM with binutils-2.8.1.0.11, which went fine as well.
I suggest you contact whomever sets up the RPM (I assume these are
some kind of "package install" systems?).

jeff

* Re: as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-03  1:33 ` Richard Henderson
       [not found] ` <199711031351.KAA04460@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Richard Henderson @ 1997-11-03  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 11:02:33PM -0600, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> $/usr/bin/as
> bash: /usr/bin/as: no such file or directory

Looks like you've misplaced ld.so.  I wonder if the RPM upgraded your
binutils too?  And the distributer is using glibc2 and you aren't?

What does "objdump -s -j .interp /usr/bin/as" report, if you can?

r~

* Re: as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-03  2:06   ` Brett Dikeman
From: Brett Dikeman @ 1997-11-03  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: egcs

At 12:46 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> I suggest you contact whomever sets up the RPM (I assume these are
I spoke with someone who used the same stuff, and he was not able to
identify my problem.

> some kind of "package install" systems?).
sorry, I thought everyone was familiar with RPM's.
Redhat Package Manager
By RedHat.
Basically, a smart, compressed tarball.  It can run install/removal
scripts, and checks for dependencies(ie, package less-X.yz needs
libncursesX.zy.)
Comes in two flavors: SRPMs(source RPMs) and RPMs(which usually contain the
compiled, end result.)
RPM is a Linux thing, and [S]RPMs are built by anyone who wants to; there
is no rpm head-hauncho :)

As many have pointed out, posting RPMs made by Joe Shmoe to big sites is
like giving Joe Shmoe root access to hundreds or thousands of systems.
Convenience vs. Security.  The age old problem.

Still, I don't understand the message. Oh well.  I'll ask the Linux-pmac
group and see what they say.

Brett

------

@ 1997-11-03  3:21   ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-11-03  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Brett Dikeman, egcs, Elliot Lee, H.J. Lu

At 07:46, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message < v03102803b08309654df5@[144.89.161.9] >you write:
>  > <grrr>
>  > Ok, I just installed two RPM's from someone who built egcs on the
Linux-ppc
>  > platform.(10-26 snapshot I believe.)
>  > After uninstalling gcc and gcc-c++ packages, I installed the two RPM's
>  > containing egcs-c and egcs-c++.  Both installed fine.
>  > I also installed an RPM with binutils-2.8.1.0.11, which went fine as
well.
>I suggest you contact whomever sets up the RPM (I assume these are
>some kind of "package install" systems?).
>
>jeff

There are some RPM's available from Elliott Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> at
< ftp://ftp.cs.cuc.edu/ > (it was announced on this list). These are quite
preliminary at the moment, but we are working on getting out more uptodate
packages. The most valuable package on this site is the dejagnu-RPM (Thanks
Elliott ;-) ).

My current status is:
- gas/binutils snapshot 971102, built as RPM (BTW, can one safely ignore
the "run libtool --finish" message during "make install_root=/tmp/gas
install"?). I haven't tried building with --enable-shared yet, cause my
last version 970915 still failed during install with this option turned on.
I will try to arrange something with Elliott and put the RPM on FTP.

- egcs-971031, still a pain to build, needs a lot of unofficial patches
from Geoffrey Keating, on a standard out-of-the-box Linux/PPC installation
(libc-0.961212) compiling still fails during libio, complaining about a
missing stdio-lock.h. Also the new libg++-2.8.0b6.3 fails during configure
(while symlinking regex.h / rx.h ?).

Ciao,
Franz.

* Re: as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-03  9:43   ` Brett Dikeman
From: Brett Dikeman @ 1997-11-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: egcs

At 1:40 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 11:02:33PM -0600, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> > $/usr/bin/as
> > bash: /usr/bin/as: no such file or directory
>
> Looks like you've misplaced ld.so.  I wonder if the RPM upgraded your
> binutils too?  And the distributer is using glibc2 and you aren't?
That was in a seperate RPM.  binutils-2.8.1.0.11.

> What does "objdump -s -j .interp /usr/bin/as" report, if you can?
"bash:/usr/bin/objdump: no such file or directory"
:\
(with or without command arg's.)

<grrrrr>

Brett

------

From: Brett Dikeman @ 1997-11-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: egcs

At 7:51 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Missing ld.so, or something such?
/lib/ld.so.1 exists.
Tried linking it to ld.so.
No change; same error.

Brett

------

@ 1997-11-03 13:37     ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1997-11-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: vonbrand, egcs

> At 7:51 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > Missing ld.so, or something such?
> /lib/ld.so.1 exists.
> Tried linking it to ld.so.
> No change; same error.

That can be many things. I need to see

# gcc -v ......

when the binary is built and

# objdump --private xxx

on the resulting binary.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu)

* Re: as problem, PPC
@ 1997-11-03 16:27     ` Elliot Lee
From: Elliot Lee @ 1997-11-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: Richard Henderson, egcs

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Brett Dikeman wrote:

> At 1:40 AM -0600 on 11/3/97, Richard Henderson wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 11:02:33PM -0600, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> > > $/usr/bin/as
> > > bash: /usr/bin/as: no such file or directory
> >
> > Looks like you've misplaced ld.so.  I wonder if the RPM upgraded your
> > binutils too?  And the distributer is using glibc2 and you aren't?
> That was in a seperate RPM.  binutils-2.8.1.0.11.
>
> > What does "objdump -s -j .interp /usr/bin/as" report, if you can?
> "bash:/usr/bin/objdump: no such file or directory"
> :\
> (with or without command arg's.)

It's because of the dynamic linker name.

I compiled that package to use /lib/ld-linux.so.2

The traditional glibc setup is /lib/ld.so.1

Do:
	ln -s ld.so.1 /lib/ld-linux.so.2

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"They don't let my code go into shipping products," Gates said. "They
 haven't done that for eight years." (at the 1997 PDC)