* Re: bison distribution size < bison output size
@ 1999-01-31 23:58   ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Marc Espie wrote:

> Please, no. Not bison too. I already routinely remove texinfo from my
> tree, as I have a decent texinfo 3.12 installed, and don't want to
> recompile it again and again...

I would have to throw in my 0.02 euros in here and say pull all the
publicially available software packages such as Bison, TexInfo et. al out
of the distribution. If we really want to build egcs, we would download
them and build them when needed. It simplifies life for us all and keeps
the internet working :o)

Cheers,
Alex
--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.2.0-pre7 #71 SMP Wed Jan 13 22:10:07 EST 1999
Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM
System library 2.0.109

* Re: bison distribution size < bison output size
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

In article < 199901200019.QAA15219@atrus.synopsys.com > you write:

@ 1999-01-31 23:58   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

> Please, no. Not bison too.
> I already routinely remove texinfo from my tree, as I have a decent
> texinfo 3.12 installed, and don't want to recompile it again and again...

OK, I drop the suggestion.

* Re: bison distribution size < bison output size
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: egcs team

  In message < 199901200019.QAA15219@atrus.synopsys.com >you write:
  > I just verified an interesting fact: the size of the bison distribution
  > (1.25, without the *info files) is 1077385 bytes.
  >
  > The size of the six .c files produced by bison from the corresponding
  > .y files is 1379385 bytes (some bison-produced .h files make this number
  > slightly higher).
  >
  > So folding bison into the distribution and removing the .c files (as we
  > did for texinfo) actually reduces its size.
  >
  > Caveat: Java puts us over the line; without the two Java parsers, bison
  > is bigger than the bison output.
But more importantly, do we want the headache of importing another package
into the distribution?  What are the benefits, what are the costs.  The
# of bytes is interesting, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Just look at the assorted problems we've had with the texinfo tree.

jeff

* bison distribution size < bison output size
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs team

@ 1999-01-31 23:58     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.buell; +Cc: Marc.Espie, egcs

Alex> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Marc Espie wrote:
>> Please, no. Not bison too. I already routinely remove texinfo from my
>> tree, as I have a decent texinfo 3.12 installed, and don't want to
>> recompile it again and again...

Alex> I would have to throw in my 0.02 euros in here and say pull all the
Alex> publicially available software packages such as Bison, TexInfo et. al out
Alex> of the distribution.

I strongly second this proposal.

-- Gaby