* egcs 971207 breaks glibc 2
       [not found] <x7hg8kbigs.fsf@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
@ 1997-12-08 15:55 ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1997-12-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper; +Cc: GNU C Library, egcs

> Hi,
>
> Instead of making a new 2.1 patch I intended to make 2.0.6pre3 but I
> have some compiler problems.  So here's a rather untested 2.1 patch.
> It should work but the copilation faile because of something which is
> most likely a compiler bug.

egcs 971207 miscompiled the dynamic linker in glibc 2.1 on linux/x86.
I cannot duplicate it in a small test case.

H.J.

* Re: egcs 971207 breaks glibc 2
@ 1997-12-08 16:38   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1997-12-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: GNU C Library, egcs

hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:

> egcs 971207 miscompiled the dynamic linker in glibc 2.1 on linux/x86.
> I cannot duplicate it in a small test case.

Same here.  The worst thing is that gdb is after the kernel change not
anymore able to debug the dynamic linker.  HJ's patch solves the
problem with the initial message not being displayed anymore but
setting a breakpoint in the dynamic linker (or even getting a
reasonable backtrace) is not possible.

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany

* Re: egcs 971207 breaks glibc 2
@ 1997-12-10  1:58     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 1997-12-10  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: H.J. Lu, GNU C Library, egcs

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

|> hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:
|>> egcs 971207 miscompiled the dynamic linker in glibc 2.1 on linux/x86.
|>> I cannot duplicate it in a small test case.

|> Same here.  The worst thing is that gdb is after the kernel change not
|> anymore able to debug the dynamic linker.  HJ's patch solves the
|> problem with the initial message not being displayed anymore but
|> setting a breakpoint in the dynamic linker (or even getting a
|> reasonable backtrace) is not possible.

Use add-symbols directly, after discarding the current symbol table.  This
is clumsy, but works.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de              completely different"