* Building ia64 crosscompiler
@ 2002-12-10  3:16 Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2002-12-10  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I tried to build an ia64 crosscompiler on i686 (of rtlopt-branch gcc;
but I guess the situation is moreorless same with bib). I run into
following problems:

a) while hooks.h declares hook_tree_tree_bool_false, both definition in
   hooks.c and usage in target-def.h use hook_bool_tree_tree_false (that
   is not declared anywhere). I changed the declaration in hooks.h and
   continued.
b) then when compiling libgcc, it claimed that
   "no data type for mode `TImode'". I was not sure what to do, so I
   removed the test for HOST_BITS_PER_WIDE_INT >= 64 in c_common_type_for_mode
   and continued.
c) later during the compilation of libgcc, it died with internal error
   somewhere in garbage collector and I gave up.

I guess a) is a bug and should be fixed. Does someone know what's going
on with the rest?

Zdenek

* Re: Building ia64 crosscompiler
@ 2002-12-10  8:36 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-12-10  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: gcc

>b) then when compiling libgcc, it claimed that
>   "no data type for mode `TImode'". I was not sure what to do, so I
>   removed the test for HOST_BITS_PER_WIDE_INT >= 64 in c_common_type_for_mode
>   and continued.

HOST_WIDE_INT should automatically be defined to "long long".  If this happens,
then 32b->64b crosses should build.  If this does not happen, they will not
build.  One of the symptons of this failure is the problem you noted above.

The HOST_WIDE_INT stuff is in hwint.h.

Just taking a wild guess, this might be a problem with Zack's header file
reorganization patches on the bib branch.  hwint.h needs MAX_LONG_TYPE_SIZE
from the tm.h file in order to correctly choose the right size for
HOST_WIDE_INT.  I do not have a copy of bib, so I can't easily check this.

>c) later during the compilation of libgcc, it died with internal error
>   somewhere in garbage collector and I gave up.

This may be a side effect of the above problem.

Jim