* running gcc  testcases
@ 2002-10-11  5:37 Deepak B. Nayak
From: Deepak B. Nayak @ 2002-10-11  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hi
 we r working in optimization and we have added a file which calculates
initiation interval for modulo scheduling...

 we then executed
   make in objdir
first time , it compiled correctly and executed all testcases and it
printed all the printf's we had given in our code.
 then once all testcases successfully executed then

next time when we added few printf's and executed make in objdir
it did not give any errors.it compiled code correctly
but it is not testing any of testcases.it is saying nothing to be done for
testcases...

why??

regards

deepak

                        Whatever you are, be a good one.
           						 -- Abraham Lincoln
				HAVE A NICE DAY

DEEPAK.B.NAYAK
ME-CSE , 604101201
B-3 ,IISc Hostels
IISc
BANGALORE-12

Hostel Phone  - (080)3092431
Computing Lab1- (080)3092368-extn-115
Computing Lab2- (080)3092368-extn-102
Intel Lab     - (080)3092368-extn-227

* Re: running gcc  testcases
@ 2002-10-11 10:02 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-10-11 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak B. Nayak; +Cc: gcc

There isn't enough info here to understand what your problem is.  Exact
commands and exact output from those commands would help.  For instance,
it isn't clear what directory you typed make in.  It isn't clear which
testcases you are trying to run.  It isn't clear what command you used to
run those testcases.  It isn't clear what errors you are getting from those
commands.  Etc.

No testcases are run when you type make.  Testcase are run only if you type
make check, and then will be run everytime you type make check.  The dejagnu
package is required to run the testsuite.  I am guessing that you somehow
confused a library build with a testsuite run.  The library files won't be
rebuilt when the compiler changes.  You can force library files to be rebuilt
by deleting them.

Jim

* Re: running gcc  testcases
@ 2002-10-11 13:59   ` Deepak B. Nayak
From: Deepak B. Nayak @ 2002-10-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: gcc

On 11 Oct 2002, Jim Wilson wrote:

> There isn't enough info here to understand what your problem is.  Exact
> commands and exact output from those commands would help.  For instance,
> it isn't clear what directory you typed make in.

 dir is srcdir/objdir

>  It isn't clear which
> testcases you are trying to run.  It isn't clear what command you used to
> run those testcases.

we just executed "make" in objdir

 It isn't clear what errors you are getting from those
> commands.  Etc.

we did not get any errors..problem was first time when we executed "make"
in objdir,it executed all the testcases(atleast it executed our pass many
times..).but then we added few more printf's in our code for clear
debugging then "make" did not run the testcases.As u said we were wrong in
running only "make" in objdir

> No testcases are run when you type make.  Testcase are run only if you type
> make check, and then will be run everytime you type make check.

>  The dejagnu
> package is required to run the testsuite.

we did not down load anyother package except gcc-3.0.tar.gz.we did not
download anyother package becos in install page it was given that if u
have downloaded full package (not only core compiler..)then no need to
download test cases

> I am guessing that you somehow
> confused a library build with a testsuite run.  The library files won't be
> rebuilt when the compiler changes.  You can force library files to be rebuilt
> by deleting them.

now one more problem is..
 now we r using "make check" in objdir.....
when we run this second time and later..this does not consider the
changes(added printf's in the code..)but execute few testcases not as many
as in first time....

after being frustrated for some time  but we have found a solution which
is not a logical one...
solution is....everytime time we make some changes to source code,then we
make simple changes to Makefile.in and run "make" in objdir..

This works fine..it executes all testcases considering all new changes...
may be this is very illogical..so please give us some solution to this
problem...

regards

deepak

> Jim

* Re: running gcc  testcases
@ 2002-10-15 15:43     ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-10-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak B. Nayak; +Cc: gcc

>we did not down load anyother package except gcc-3.0.tar.gz.we did not
>download anyother package becos in install page it was given that if u
>have downloaded full package (not only core compiler..)then no need to
>download test cases

The testcases are included in the gcc package, but the testsuite driver is
not.  It is a separate package.  You will need to download dejagnu if you
want to run the testsuites.  There are about 26000 tests that get run if
you do things this way.

>after being frustrated for some time  but we have found a solution which
>is not a logical one...
>solution is....everytime time we make some changes to source code,then we
>make simple changes to Makefile.in and run "make" in objdir..

As I suspected, you are confusing library files with testcases.  The library
files only get built once, since there is no need to rebuild them for every
minor compiler change.  Touching the makefile is forcing the library to
rebuild.  An easier way to do this is to delete the library files that you
want to rebuild.

Jim