From: Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To: Gabriele Bulfon via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Build of any gcc breaks on my sparc / illumos env
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 20:04:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Gabriele,

> Hi, took me some time to get back to this.
> The reason why I need to build new gccs is that to build latest illumos
> gate I need gcc7 and gcc10 together.
> The illumos gate that I can build with illumos gcc 4.4.4 is around 2019, so
> I tried backporting latest ld, libld, libelf, liblddbg sources to my 2019
> gate and rebuilt only these components manually, than installed bin and
> libs manually.
> The problem persists. Is there any other components I need to backport?
> Using ldd I see only these dependencies for ld.

no matter if you just want to build openindiana userland or the illumos
core, you will have no luck with unpatched upstream GCC: the
Illumos/OpenIndiana guys are keeping a large set of patches that have
never been upstreamed and are almost certainly required to get a working
gcc on Illumos, let alone one that is capable of building Illumos ON.

If at all, you should be starting from the oi-userland repo
(cf. components/developer/gcc-*) and check which version of GCC (beyond
the heavily patched gcc 4.4.4) is required to build Illumos.  Besides,
SPARC support has been removed from Illumos completely some time ago, so
you're pretty much on your own here.  You may have some luck getting
hints from Peter Tribble of Tribblix fame who provided a SPARC version
of his distribtion until August 2018.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University