* Supporting decimal float on additional platforms
@ 2009-11-18 18:20 Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2009-11-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I've recently looked into what it takes to support decimal float on
additional platforms (like Solaris, IRIX, and Tru64 UNIX in my case).
I've found no documentation, and while I could figure out some things
myself, I'd like to get some advice before continuing down that road.

I found that --enable-decimal-float alone is not enough.  One at least
needs to add config/t-dfprules to config.gcc, too.  In addition, the
platform <target>_scalar_mode_supported_p function needs to be augmented
accordingly.  (I haven't tried this yet; it's just from code
inspection.)

Even if this works, I now think this won't be enough and probably not
even remotely useful (if only to pass parts of the testsuite) without
libc support for the new *printf/*scanf formats, which certainly won't
be added on legacy platforms like IRIX and Tru64 UNIX, and even on
Solaris probably won't show up until DFP is fully standardized.

Comments?

        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University