* How to use SPARC m64 option of gcc-3.0.2
@ 2001-12-06  6:29 Yujong Kim
From: Yujong Kim @ 2001-12-06  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc

 Dear Sir,

First, thank you for your efforts.
I am a system administrator of Sun Blade 1000 (Ultra-III) which I have installed the gcc-3.0.2
According to man command, the gcc have following option for sparc machine.

SPARC Option

         -mcpu=cpu-type -mtune=cpu-type -mcmodel=code-model -m32
         -m64 -mapp-regs  -mbroken-saverestore  -mcypress
         -mepilogue  -mfaster-structs -mflat -mfpu  -mhard-float
         -mhard-quad-float -mimpure-text  -mlive-g0  -mno-app-
         regs -mno-epilogue  -mno-faster-structs  -mno-flat
         -mno-fpu -mno-impure-text  -mno-stack-bias  -mno-
         unaligned-doubles -msoft-float  -msoft-quad-float
         -msparclite  -mstack-bias -msupersparc  -munaligned-
         doubles  -mv8

I hope to compile my c-code with 64-bit option.
Can gcc-3.0.2 support the 64-bit compiling under Sun Solaris-8 (Ultra Sparc-III machine) ?
Though I have installed gcc-3.0.2, I can not use -m64 option in my computer.
Following error is generated when I use -m64 option.

gcc -m64 -o sample sample.c -lm
cc1: -m64 is not supported by this configuration

Please, would tell me the way how I can use -m64 option to compile my code with 64-bit ?
May I reinstall the gcc-3.0.2 with other configure option to use -m64 option in my machine ?
Thank you for your kindness in advance.

Sincerely yours,

Yujong Kim

* Re: How to use SPARC m64 option of gcc-3.0.2
@ 2001-12-06  6:58 ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2001-12-06  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yjkim; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

"Yujong Kim" <yjkim@postech.ac.kr> writes:

> Please, would tell me the way how I can use -m64 option to compile my code with 64-bit ?
> May I reinstall the gcc-3.0.2 with other configure option to use -m64 option in my machine ?

GCC 3.0.x doesn't support 64-bit code on Solaris 7/8.  The installation
manual states:

Starting with Solaris 7, the operating system is capable of executing
64-bit SPARC V9 binaries.  GCC 3.0 doesn't properly support this yet.
Although some patches or recipes to enable this support have been posted
to various newsgroups and mailing lists, we recommend against using
them, since the compiler may either crash or, worse, silently generate
bad code.  If you really need this capability now, you might try a CVS
version of GCC 3.1, which will fully support this.  If all you want is
code tuned for the UltraSPARC CPU, you should try the
@option{-mtune=ultrasparc} option instead, which should be safe from
those bugs and produce code that, unlike full 64-bit code, can still run
on non-UltraSPARC machines.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE