public inbox for gdb-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
@ 2006-01-20 22:06 jimb
From: jimb @ 2006-01-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-prs, kumar__v, nobody

Synopsis: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: jimb
State-Changed-When: Fri Jan 20 22:06:13 2006
State-Changed-Why:
    Dave Mazik send me an executable that caused GDB to complain.  When I apply 'readelf -wi' to it to display the Dwarf debugging info, and look at the indirect strings (that is, strings using DW_FORM_strp) it contains, I see lots of entries like this towards the beginning of the file:

         DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0x150e): ecute_cfa_program

    This is almost certainly supposed to be "execute_cfa_program", but you can see that the offset in the DW_FORM_strp attribute is a bit off.

    Later down in the file, we see a bunch of this:

         DW_AT_name        : (indirect string, offset: 0xd145): <offset is too big>

    Here, readelf -wi is complaining about the same thing GDB is complaining about.

    So this is clearly an upstream (assembler; linker) problem, not GDB's problem.  You could try running readelf -wi on the .o files to see if the offsets are right there; if they are, then it's clearly a linker problem.  If you're running the latest linker, then you need to file a linker bug report.

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1975

* Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
@ 2006-01-20 19:42 jimb
From: jimb @ 2006-01-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-prs, kumar__v, nobody

Synopsis: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str

State-Changed-From-To: closed->feedback
State-Changed-By: jimb
State-Changed-When: Fri Jan 20 19:42:11 2006
State-Changed-Why:
    Could you put an executable that exhibits the problem on the web somewhere, and send a link to it?

    I'm pretty sure this is a linker problem, and not GDB's problem, but if I can examine an executable I can know for sure.

@ 2006-01-20 19:28 Dave Mazik
From: Dave Mazik @ 2006-01-20 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gdb-prs

The following reply was made to PR symtab/1975; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dave Mazik <dmazik@yahoo.com>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:26:20 -0800 (PST)

 I've upgraded to binutils 2.16.1 as suggested by jimb.
  Same problem still occurring.

 gld --version
 GNU ld version 2.16.1
 This program is free software; you may redistribute it
 under the terms of
 the GNU General Public License.  This program has
 absolutely no warranty.

 gas --version
 GNU assembler 2.16.1
 This program is free software; you may redistribute it
 under the terms of
 the GNU General Public License.  This program has
 absolutely no warranty.
 This assembler was configured for a target of
 `sparc-sun-solaris2.10'.

 Dave

 http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
@ 2005-12-02 17:58 jimb
From: jimb @ 2005-12-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-prs, kumar__v, nobody

Synopsis: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: jimb
State-Changed-When: Fri Dec  2 17:58:46 2005
State-Changed-Why:
    This is a bug in binutils --- the linker is not properly adjusting references to the .debug_str section.  Try upgrading your binutils.

@ 2005-12-02 17:38 Dave Mazik
From: Dave Mazik @ 2005-12-02 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gdb-prs

The following reply was made to PR symtab/1975; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dave Mazik <dmazik@yahoo.com>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:33:00 -0800 (PST)

 Hi,

 I'm seeing this identical problem with the following
 toolset:

 gdb --version
 GNU gdb 6.2.1

 uname -a
 SunOS mns1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440

 g++ --version
 g++ (GCC) 3.4.2

 gld --version
 GNU ld version 2.15

 gas --version
 GNU assembler 2.15

 Unfortunately, I can't create a simple example which
 exhibits the problem.
 Likewise, I do have some complicated examples which
 don't exhibit this
 problem with the same tools on the same machine.

 gdb 6.3 and 6.4 exhibit the same problem as well.

 As in Bug 1975, greadelf of the binary works just
 fine.

 Thanks in advance.
 Dave

 Just $16.99/mo. or less.
 dsl.yahoo.com

* Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
@ 2005-08-18  9:48 Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-08-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gdb-prs

The following reply was made to PR symtab/1975; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.radhakrishnan@codito.com>
To: gdb-prs@sources.redhat.com, kumar__v@hotmail.com,
        nobody@sources.redhat.com, gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of
	.debug_str
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:43:19 +0530

 http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1975

 You might like to post a small testcase here. Someone with the right environment would be able to help you out better.

 --
 Ramana Radhakrishnan
 GNU Tools

* symtab/1975: gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
@ 2005-07-23 20:28 kumar__v
From: kumar__v @ 2005-07-23 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-gnats

>Number:         1975
>Category:       symtab
>Synopsis:       gdb reports DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Jul 23 20:28:00 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     kumar__v@hotmail.com
>Release:        gdb-6.3.50.20050723
gdb reports the following error when I load a 64 bit executable.
This GDB was configured as "i386-pc-solaris2.10"...DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str section [in module <....>]

readelf on the same binary does not report any problem.

gdb is compiled as a 64 bit binary.
 ELF 64-bit LSB executable AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped