public inbox for gdb-testers@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@adacore.com>
To: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim.kuvyrkov@linaro.org>
Cc: tromey@adacore.com,  gdb-testers@sourceware.org,
	 Linaro Toolchain Working Group
	<linaro-toolchain@lists.linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [Linaro-TCWG-CI] gdb-14-branchpoint-1356-g7737b133640: FAIL: 1 regressions on arm
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:14:54 -0600	[thread overview]

>> | commit gdb-14-branchpoint-1356-g7737b133640
>> | Author: Tom Tromey <tromey@adacore.com>
>> | Date:   Tue Jan 9 11:47:17 2024 -0700
>> |
>> |     Handle DW_AT_endianity on enumeration types
>> |
>> |     A user found that gdb would not correctly print a field from an Ada
>> |     record using the scalar storage order feature.  We tracked this down
>> |     to a combination of problems.
>> |
>> |     First, GCC did not emit DW_AT_endianity on the enumeration type.
>> | ... 14 lines of the commit log omitted.

> I see the above failure for both aarch64-linux-gnu and
> arm-linux-gnueabihf in our testing.  The log shows ([1]):

> (gdb) PASS: gdb.ada/scalar_storage.exp: print V_LE
> get_compiler_info: gcc-14-0-1

> Any idea what can be causing this?

> This failure happens in CI configurations where we track tip-of-trunk GCC.

This failure is what I would expect if your compiler does not have the
fix.  Can you see if your gcc includes this change?

commit 5d8b60effc7268448a94fbbbad923ab6871252cd
Author: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@adacore.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 10 13:23:46 2024 +0100

    Fix debug info for enumeration types with reverse Scalar_Storage_Order

    This implements the support of DW_AT_endianity for enumeration types because
    they are scalar and therefore, reverse Scalar_Storage_Order is supported for
    them, but only when the -gstrict-dwarf switch is not passed because this is
    an extension.

    There is an associated GDB patch to be submitted to grok the new DWARF.

thanks,
Tom