public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* printing a string
@ 2008-01-08  6:06 ranjith kumar
From: ranjith kumar @ 2008-01-08  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I know that a variable can be print in gdb by
"print var".

But how to print a string???

Thanks in advance.

* RE: printing a string
@ 2008-01-08 15:36 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-01-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ranjith kumar', gdb

On 08 January 2008 06:06, ranjith kumar wrote:

> I know that a variable can be print in gdb by
> "print var".
>
> But how to print a string???

  "print" will display a string, if you're printing a variable of type "char
*", or a std::string.

  Or you can use "x" (examine) with the "/s" modifier if you just have a
memory address.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: printing a string
@ 2008-01-09 10:50   ` Andrew STUBBS
From: Andrew STUBBS @ 2008-01-09 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ranjith kumar'; +Cc: gdb

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 08 January 2008 06:06, ranjith kumar wrote:
>
>> I know that a variable can be print in gdb by
>> "print var".
>>
>> But how to print a string???
>
>   "print" will display a string, if you're printing a variable of type "char
> *", or a std::string.
>
>   Or you can use "x" (examine) with the "/s" modifier if you just have a
> memory address.

Or, if your string is to long, or x/s is too ugly:

   printf "%s\n", mystring

Andrew

* Re: printing a string
@ 2008-01-09 22:29     ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2008-01-09 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew STUBBS; +Cc: 'ranjith kumar', gdb

Andrew STUBBS <andrew.stubbs at st.com> writes:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 08 January 2008 06:06, ranjith kumar wrote:
>>
>>> I know that a variable can be print in gdb by
>>> "print var".
>>>
>>> But how to print a string???
>>
>>   "print" will display a string, if you're printing a variable of type "char
>> *", or a std::string.
>>
>>   Or you can use "x" (examine) with the "/s" modifier if you just have a
>> memory address.
>
> Or, if your string is to long, or x/s is too ugly:
>
>   printf "%s\n", mystring

(Not 'set print elements'?)

* Re: printing a string
@ 2008-01-10 10:49       ` Andrew STUBBS
From: Andrew STUBBS @ 2008-01-10 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: 'ranjith kumar', gdb

Jim Blandy wrote:
> Andrew STUBBS <andrew.stubbs at st.com> writes:
>>   printf "%s\n", mystring
>
> (Not 'set print elements'?)

Well, 'set print elements 0' and 'set print repeats 0' gets you some of
the way there, but line-feeds still get converted to '\n', and if you
want to print shorter strings with x/s then you'll also need 'set print
null-stop on' .....

Basically, if you want to see a string as nature intended then printf
seems to be the easiest way, plus x/s remains useful for viewing the
contents of the string a different way.

Andrew