public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: JTAG debug support for ARM
@ 2001-01-24 19:01 Peter Reilley
From: Peter Reilley @ 2001-01-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Jim MacGregor

There is nothing illegal about this site.   I have done most
of the Linux and Solaris code on this site.   If you doubt
this, ask them at their regular site www.macraigor.com
The Wiggler is not supported under Linux and Solaris.
The Wiggler is supported under Windows.   Under Linux
and Solaris the Raven and Ethernet products are supported.
The site is still a work in progress so everything is not
there yet but keep checking.

Pete.

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-25 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:01:23PM -0500, Peter Reilley wrote:
>There is nothing illegal about this site.  I have done most of the
>Linux and Solaris code on this site.  If you doubt this, ask them at
>their regular site www.macraigor.com The Wiggler is not supported under
>Linux and Solaris.  The Wiggler is supported under Windows.  Under
>Linux and Solaris the Raven and Ethernet products are supported.  The
>site is still a work in progress so everything is not there yet but
>keep checking.

Unfortunately, the question of legality is open to interpretation if the
sources for the DLL are not provided and if the DLL is used with GDB.

cgf

@ 2001-01-25 13:00   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-01-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: gdb

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:01:23PM -0500, Peter Reilley wrote:
> >There is nothing illegal about this site.  I have done most of the
> >Linux and Solaris code on this site.  If you doubt this, ask them at
> >their regular site www.macraigor.com The Wiggler is not supported under
> >Linux and Solaris.  The Wiggler is supported under Windows.  Under
> >Linux and Solaris the Raven and Ethernet products are supported.  The
> >site is still a work in progress so everything is not there yet but
> >keep checking.
>
> Unfortunately, the question of legality is open to interpretation if the
> sources for the DLL are not provided and if the DLL is used with GDB.

Furthermore, the GPL has explicit rules for Web sites: if the binary is
available for downloading from a site, the same site must provide the
sources that are necessary and sufficient to regenerate those binaries.

Providing a link to another site where there are some sources is not
enough.
And in this case the sources pointed to are not sufficient to regenerate
the
binary nor equivalent to what was used as there are certainly changes to
the
gdb code.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: JTAG debug support for ARM
@ 2001-01-26 19:31 Peter Reilley
From: Peter Reilley @ 2001-01-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Jim MacGregor

From: Peter Reilley @ 2001-01-26 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-01-26  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Reilley; +Cc: gdb, Jim MacGregor

--

@ 2001-01-25 17:06 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2001-01-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Reilley; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:07:38PM -0500, Peter Reilley wrote:
> I do not believe that there is any question of legality.   Gdb
> is commonly used with libraries that are not available as
> source.   For example; running it on Solaris, etc.   What
> about if I bought the accelerated X server that Red Hat
> sold.   Must I not run gdb?

Quoting from section 3 of the GPL:

	The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
	making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
	code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
	associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
	control compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a
	special exception, the source code distributed need not include
	anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
	form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
	operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
	itself accompanies the executable.

So the answer is you can run GDB providing it was linked against system
libraries, even if you do not have source for those libraries.

> The Linux community recognizes that to win in the public
> arena some software will not be GPL'ed.   Indeed, most
> people actively encourage commercial software to be
> ported to Linux.

However, the Free Software Foundation does have the rights to control software
it writes (or is assigned to it).  If you don't like the controls, you are free
not to use the software.  You are not free to do something with GPL software
that goes against the owners wishes (ie, link with non-GPL software that isn't
provided with the major components of the system).

> I have written GLP'ed software and I have written commercial
> software.  This project gives me the opportunity to give to the Linux
> community something that previously was only available
> under Windows.

It is GPL, not GLP.

--

@ 2001-01-25 15:15 Peter Reilley

@ 2001-01-25 15:10 Peter Reilley

>On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:01:23PM -0500, Peter Reilley wrote:
>>There is nothing illegal about this site.  I have done most of the
>>Linux and Solaris code on this site.  If you doubt this, ask them at
>>their regular site www.macraigor.com The Wiggler is not supported under
>>Linux and Solaris.  The Wiggler is supported under Windows.  Under
>>Linux and Solaris the Raven and Ethernet products are supported.  The
>>site is still a work in progress so everything is not there yet but
>>keep checking.
>
>Unfortunately, the question of legality is open to interpretation if the
>sources for the DLL are not provided and if the DLL is used with GDB.
>
>cgf

* JTAG debug support for ARM
@ 2001-01-24 13:39 Friedrich Beckmann