public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Minimum set of actions to support vCont
@ 2018-11-23 10:17 Mathieu Tarral
From: Mathieu Tarral @ 2018-11-23 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I'm implementing the vCont packet in my stub,
and so far, when I receive a vCont? packet, I reply with
"vCont;c;s" since I support singlestep and continue.

This implementation works in radare2, but it doesn't work with GDB:
Sending packet: $vCont?#49...Packet received: vCont;c;s
Packet vCont (verbose-resume) is NOT supported

What is the minimal set of actions required to support
vCont in GDB RSP ?

Thanks.
--
Mathieu Tarral

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

* Re: Minimum set of actions to support vCont
@ 2018-12-11 17:01 ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2018-12-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Tarral; +Cc: gdb

On 2018-11-23 05:16, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing the vCont packet in my stub,
> and so far, when I receive a vCont? packet, I reply with
> "vCont;c;s" since I support singlestep and continue.
>
> This implementation works in radare2, but it doesn't work with GDB:
> Sending packet: $vCont?#49...Packet received: vCont;c;s
> Packet vCont (verbose-resume) is NOT supported
>
> What is the minimal set of actions required to support
> vCont in GDB RSP ?
>

> Thanks.
> --
> Mathieu Tarral

Hi Mathieu,

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought it would be better than no reply
at all.

I don't think there is a clear spec about that.  The implementation of
GDB is the closest thing to a source of truth that you'll get.

In remote.c, in remote_target::remote_vcont_probe (), I see

       /* If c, and C are not all supported, we can't use vCont.
Clearing
	 BUF will make packet_ok disable the packet.  */
       if (!support_c || !support_C)
	buf[0] = 0;

So I guess GDB wants you to support C (or claim you support C) in order
to use vCont.

Simon