public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14  3:40 luoyi
From: luoyi @ 2006-07-14  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I've read from the NEWS that 6.5 version of gdb can support mingw-host,
but when I try to compile it, it give me the err msg:

configure: WARNING: no enhanced curses library found; disabling TUI
configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support native target i686-pc-mingw32"
make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yi.luo/gdb_build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

how can I make it to work under mingw ?

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14  7:09 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2006-07-14  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luoyi; +Cc: gdb

> I've read from the NEWS that 6.5 version of gdb can support mingw-host,
> but when I try to compile it, it give me the err msg:

It only supports cross configurations hosted on mingw, unfortunately.

--
Joel

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 10:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: luoyi.ly, gdb

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:09:16 -0700
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> > I've read from the NEWS that 6.5 version of gdb can support mingw-host,
> > but when I try to compile it, it give me the err msg:
>
> It only supports cross configurations hosted on mingw, unfortunately.

What is missing for it to support the native configuration?

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 13:07     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-07-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Joel Brobecker, luoyi.ly, gdb

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:48:34PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:09:16 -0700
> > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> > Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
> >
> > > I've read from the NEWS that 6.5 version of gdb can support mingw-host,
> > > but when I try to compile it, it give me the err msg:
> >
> > It only supports cross configurations hosted on mingw, unfortunately.
>
> What is missing for it to support the native configuration?

Quite a lot I suspect.  win32-nat.c is only designed to work on Cygwin.
Someone who was interested in native, non-Cygwin-based debugging would
have to work on it, and keep the changes clean enough to not overly
complicate the Cygwin support (per our last discussion on this
subject).  It would probably be at least a few weeks work.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 13:31       ` Andrew STUBBS
From: Andrew STUBBS @ 2006-07-14 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luoyi.ly, gdb

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>> What is missing for it to support the native configuration?
>
> Quite a lot I suspect.  win32-nat.c is only designed to work on Cygwin.
> Someone who was interested in native, non-Cygwin-based debugging would
> have to work on it, and keep the changes clean enough to not overly
> complicate the Cygwin support (per our last discussion on this
> subject).  It would probably be at least a few weeks work.

Presumably the people at www.mingw.org have support for the native
configuration, although I wouldn't like to say if it meets the criteria
above.

However, AFAICS they are still on GDB 6.3.

HTH

Andrew

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 13:37         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-07-14 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew STUBBS; +Cc: luoyi.ly, gdb

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 02:31:18PM +0100, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >>What is missing for it to support the native configuration?
> >
> >Quite a lot I suspect.  win32-nat.c is only designed to work on Cygwin.
> >Someone who was interested in native, non-Cygwin-based debugging would
> >have to work on it, and keep the changes clean enough to not overly
> >complicate the Cygwin support (per our last discussion on this
> >subject).  It would probably be at least a few weeks work.
>
> Presumably the people at www.mingw.org have support for the native
> configuration, although I wouldn't like to say if it meets the criteria
> above.

They do; but the last time I checked, it didn't, and they haven't shown
any interest in submitting their changes.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 14:05       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-14 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker, luoyi.ly, gdb

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:07:26 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>, luoyi.ly@gmail.com, 	gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> win32-nat.c is only designed to work on Cygwin.  Someone who was
> interested in native, non-Cygwin-based debugging would have to work
> on it

Someone obviously did, since I have a native Windows port of GDB 6.3.
(Actually, I also have a gdb-6.3.50.20051116-cvs, but it has several
annoying bugs, so I don't normally use it.)

It's too bad the patches of these ports were not submitted upstream.

* Re: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-14 15:34       ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2006-07-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, luoyi.ly, gdb

> Quite a lot I suspect.  win32-nat.c is only designed to work on Cygwin.
> Someone who was interested in native, non-Cygwin-based debugging would
> have to work on it, and keep the changes clean enough to not overly
> complicate the Cygwin support (per our last discussion on this
> subject).  It would probably be at least a few weeks work.

I have been working here on a native mingw, and it actually is not
that much work to get something functional. I had to put that project
on hold for a while, however, due to some scheduling conflicts and
business trips. I hope to resume it soon (hopefully in a week or two),
and submit these changes.  The changes I made are against a gdb-6.4
baseline but it shouldn't be a problem to merge them into mainline.

Let me see if I can dig out the patches I already have, if anyone
is interested.

--
Joel

* RE: 6.5 doesn't support mingw ?
@ 2006-07-15  0:33         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-07-15  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Joel Brobecker', 'Eli Zaretskii', luoyi.ly, gdb

On 14 July 2006 15:33, Joel Brobecker wrote:

> Let me see if I can dig out the patches I already have, if anyone
> is interested.

  Absolutely; can you please Cc me with a copy when you find them?  TIA!

    cheers,
      DaveK