public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* patch review time
@ 2005-03-03 15:02 Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2005-03-03 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

Hi,

Is there any way to speed up the patch review time? The problem is, if I
have a small patch here or there, I don't care if it takes a while.

However, if I want to make a more significant change, and it takes a
week or two per small patch, it basically makes it impossible for me to
contribute to GDB.

I understand that people are busy, which is the very reason my patches
take so long to create. However, from my perspective it simply takes to long,
to get patch reviews done, except of course doco reviews from Eli :).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

* Re: patch review time
@ 2005-03-05 20:34 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-03-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Rossi; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, gdb, cagney, ezannoni, fnasser

> BTW, 2 of the MI MAINTAINERS completely do *nothing*. They don't respond
> to Emails, they don't review patches, and as far as I can tell, do
> nothing behind the scene.

> Shouldn't they be removed from this position, since, IMO, they are *not*
> maintaining the code. I think having 3 maintainers under the section

>   mi (gdb/mi)             Andrew Cagney     cagney@redhat.com
>                           Elena Zannoni     ezannoni@redhat.com
>                           Fernando Nasser   fnasser@redhat.com

> is misleading. Since Andrew is the *only* one I can tell is maintaining
> code for MI, even if it's not at the speed that I desire.

Hang on. Let's be pragmatic. How will things get *better* if they are removed.
They are the original authors and know the code better than the rest of us.
We don't know what their committments/current interests are. At the moment,
they might contribute at some time in the future. If they are removed then
presumably they won't.

Bob, you're not the only one whose e-mails go ignored. Answering questions,
reviewing patches takes up time. Unpaid time. If my e-mail is unanswered, it
tells me something: either people aren't interested or they are too busy.
Sometimes I let it go, sometimes I realise it was a stupid question, and
sometimes I send another e-mail and try to add something to get a reply.

It only makes sense to remove people from MAINTAINERS if some-one else is
stepping forward with the enough expertise and enthusiasm. Right know,
with MI, AFAIK they aren't. Shit happens.

Nick