public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* "cannot open shared object file"
@ 2003-10-23 23:19 Jordan Benjamin
From: Jordan Benjamin @ 2003-10-23 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello all,

I'm trying to use GDB with a program having many shared libraries, and I
get the following error:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/Amira-3.0/bin/arch-Linux-Optimize/HxMain
/usr/local/Amira-3.0/bin/arch-Linux-Optimize/HxMain: error while loading
shared libraries: libAmira.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Program exited with code 0177.

The library "libAmira.so" is found on my machine in
/usr/local/Amira-3.0/lib/arch-Linux-Optimize/libAmira.so. I've tried
adding /usr/local/Amira-3.0/lib/arch-Linux-Optimize/ to the shell
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which allows ldd to find it), as well as
setting solib-search-path to this path, but to no avail. I can't even
figure out what's generating this error message--I've grepped the gdb
and ld source for similar wording but can't find anything.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Jordan

* Re: "cannot open shared object file"
@ 2003-10-24 17:31 ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-10-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Benjamin, gdb

On Oct 23,  4:18pm, Jordan Benjamin wrote:

> I'm trying to use GDB with a program having many shared libraries, and I
> get the following error:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/Amira-3.0/bin/arch-Linux-Optimize/HxMain
> /usr/local/Amira-3.0/bin/arch-Linux-Optimize/HxMain: error while loading
> shared libraries: libAmira.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> Program exited with code 0177.
>
> The library "libAmira.so" is found on my machine in
> /usr/local/Amira-3.0/lib/arch-Linux-Optimize/libAmira.so. I've tried
> adding /usr/local/Amira-3.0/lib/arch-Linux-Optimize/ to the shell
> variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which allows ldd to find it), as well as
> setting solib-search-path to this path, but to no avail. I can't even
> figure out what's generating this error message--I've grepped the gdb
> and ld source for similar wording but can't find anything.
>
> Do any of you have any ideas?

What does ldd show you?

Kevin