public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-18 16:18 msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-18 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

We're trying to make a new file to define how should gdb connect to a
simulated UART, as I said before. Forget the other question.
I see that there are three files called ser-tcp.c , ser-unix.c , ser-pipe.c ,
and also a pair called ser-something.c.
In configure.in from gdb there's a point in which SER_HARDWIRE = "ser-unix.c
ser-tcp.c ser-pipe.c" is shown. But, I'm trying to configure this (just for a
probe) with SER_HARDWIRE = "ser-unix.o ser-tcp.o ser-pipe.o ser-simuart.o"
with no results.

I would like to do a new ser-simuart.c file , with all the methods to
send-receive data to a simulated uart. So I could connect easily gdb to a
software board simulator that reads/writes to a simulated UART. Before I make
this ser-simuart.c file, how should I integrate this with the rest of the gdb
code? Should I do something more or just a new file?

Thank you very much.
Each answer is really wellcomed!

miguel

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-18 16:53 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-03-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msarasa; +Cc: gdb

> We're trying to make a new file to define how should gdb connect to a
> simulated UART, as I said before. Forget the other question.
> I see that there are three files called ser-tcp.c , ser-unix.c , ser-pipe.c ,
> and also a pair called ser-something.c.
> In configure.in from gdb there's a point in which SER_HARDWIRE = "ser-unix.c
> ser-tcp.c ser-pipe.c" is shown. But, I'm trying to configure this (just for a
> probe) with SER_HARDWIRE = "ser-unix.o ser-tcp.o ser-pipe.o ser-simuart.o"
> with no results.
>
> I would like to do a new ser-simuart.c file , with all the methods to
> send-receive data to a simulated uart. So I could connect easily gdb to a
> software board simulator that reads/writes to a simulated UART. Before I make
> this ser-simuart.c file, how should I integrate this with the rest of the gdb
> code? Should I do something more or just a new file?

Add the new file.  Modify the serial.c code so that it recognizes and
selects the new device (you mentioned this in your previous e-mail).

Get an FSF assignment.

Andrew

* Re: ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-19 11:42   ` msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

Quoting Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>:

> > We're trying to make a new file to define how should gdb connect to a
> > simulated UART, as I said before. Forget the other question.
> > I see that there are three files called ser-tcp.c , ser-unix.c , ser-pipe.c
> ,
> > and also a pair called ser-something.c.
> > In configure.in from gdb there's a point in which SER_HARDWIRE =
> "ser-unix.c
> > ser-tcp.c ser-pipe.c" is shown. But, I'm trying to configure this (just for
> > probe) with SER_HARDWIRE = "ser-unix.o ser-tcp.o ser-pipe.o ser-simuart.o"
>
> > with no results.
> >
> > I would like to do a new ser-simuart.c file , with all the methods to
> > send-receive data to a simulated uart. So I could connect easily gdb to a
> > software board simulator that reads/writes to a simulated UART. Before I
> make
> > this ser-simuart.c file, how should I integrate this with the rest of the
> gdb
> > code? Should I do something more or just a new file?
>
> Add the new file.  Modify the serial.c code so that it recognizes and
> selects the new device (you mentioned this in your previous e-mail).
>
> Get an FSF assignment.
>
> Andrew

thanks!
When i've made this , what should I do to build the gnu tools with the new
file? I've tried to add ser-sim.c to configure.in (which is my file) in the
line : SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o" , but eventhough I
wrote SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o ser-sim.o",and then
runned configure the makefile remains unaltered at this point(ser-sim.o ,
nowhere, the other yes). What I'm doing wrong? These ser-* files seems a
little bit strange to me, because they're not included in any other file, so I
thought that the only relation with the rest of gnu comes by the configure
file.

Where could I get an FSF assignment?

Thanks again!
Miguel.

* Re: ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-19 11:42   ` msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

@ 2003-03-20  0:14     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-03-20  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msarasa; +Cc: gdb

> When i've made this , what should I do to build the gnu tools with the new
> file? I've tried to add ser-sim.c to configure.in (which is my file) in the
> line : SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o" , but eventhough I
> wrote SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o ser-sim.o",and then
> runned configure the makefile remains unaltered at this point(ser-sim.o ,
> nowhere, the other yes). What I'm doing wrong? These ser-* files seems a
> little bit strange to me, because they're not included in any other file, so I
> thought that the only relation with the rest of gnu comes by the configure
> file.

That should be all you need.  Perhaphs you need an _initialize_ser_xxx()
function to force linking of the file?

Andrew

* Re: ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-20  9:17       ` msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

Quoting Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>:

> > When i've made this , what should I do to build the gnu tools with the new
>
> > file? I've tried to add ser-sim.c to configure.in (which is my file) in the
>
> > line : SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o" , but eventhough I
>
> > wrote SER_HARDWIRE = " ser-tcp.o ser-unix.o ser-pipe.o ser-sim.o",and then
>
> > runned configure the makefile remains unaltered at this point(ser-sim.o ,
> > nowhere, the other yes). What I'm doing wrong? These ser-* files seems a
> > little bit strange to me, because they're not included in any other file,
> so I
> > thought that the only relation with the rest of gnu comes by the configure
>
> > file.
>
> That should be all you need.  Perhaphs you need an _initialize_ser_xxx()
> function to force linking of the file?

Thanks for your help & support!!
I've made this , and I have just one more problem that is:

I've made a new ser-sim.c file, actually It seems like ser-pipe.c but with
empty functions for open/close and a _initialize.... function which is a copy
from _initialize_ser_pipe() but that use the new empty sim_open() and
sim_close.
I've made the gdb to obtain a ser-sim.o file.
I've changed the configure.in file to add this file where the other ser-**
are. I ran configure , and I've obtained no ser-sim.o entry in the Makefile,
where the other ser-*.o are. Not yet in init.c.
But, when I've changed manually Makefile and added the ser-sim.o file where
the other files are, I've got the desired init.c file , with the
_initialize_ser_sim() function in its code.

What should I do to make this clean from configure??

Thanks for the form!  I'll fill it
Best regards, Miguel.

* Re: ser-tcp ser-unix question
@ 2003-03-20 14:53         ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-03-20 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msarasa; +Cc: gdb

> Thanks for your help & support!!
> I've made this , and I have just one more problem that is:
>
> I've made a new ser-sim.c file, actually It seems like ser-pipe.c but with
> empty functions for open/close and a _initialize.... function which is a copy
> from _initialize_ser_pipe() but that use the new empty sim_open() and
> sim_close.
> I've made the gdb to obtain a ser-sim.o file.
> I've changed the configure.in file to add this file where the other ser-**
> are. I ran configure , and I've obtained no ser-sim.o entry in the Makefile,
> where the other ser-*.o are. Not yet in init.c.
> But, when I've changed manually Makefile and added the ser-sim.o file where
> the other files are, I've got the desired init.c file , with the
> _initialize_ser_sim() function in its code.
>
> What should I do to make this clean from configure??

I don't know.  I suspect you just need to dig a little bit more.

Andrew