public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 20:25 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-09-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, y2bismil

> Does anyone know the location of a list of supported debug format by gdb?

dwarf 1, dwarf 1+
dwarf 2
stabs, stabs+
coff, xcoff, xcoff+
mdebug

Also, I'm not sure whether "hp" is an object code format or a debug
format.

Michael C

* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 20:29 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2003-09-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: gdb, y2bismil

> Also, I'm not sure whether "hp" is an object code format or a debug
> format.

HP32 uses SOM (object format). The Debug format used is then stabs.
HP64 uses ELF, in which case you have the choice between stabs or
dwarf2.

--
Joel

* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 20:34 ` y2bismil
From: y2bismil @ 2003-09-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Thanks Michael,

open watcom does support dwarf1, and so I tried that, but still nothing.  GDB
just keeps saying it can't find any debug information.  Shuold gdb
automatically detect the debug type, or is there an option?

Thanks

Quoting Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net>:
> > Does anyone know the location of a list of supported debug format by gdb?
>
> dwarf 1, dwarf 1+
> dwarf 2
> stabs, stabs+
> coff, xcoff, xcoff+
> mdebug
>
> Also, I'm not sure whether "hp" is an object code format or a debug
> format.
>
> Michael C

Quoting Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net>:

> > Does anyone know the location of a list of supported debug format by gdb?
>
> dwarf 1, dwarf 1+
> dwarf 2
> stabs, stabs+
> coff, xcoff, xcoff+
> mdebug
>
> Also, I'm not sure whether "hp" is an object code format or a debug
> format.
>
> Michael C

This mail sent through www.mywaterloo.ca

* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-19 14:53 ` y2bismil
From: y2bismil @ 2003-09-19 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi Jim Blandy,
Here is the output of the object dump
C:\src\watcom>objdump -h test2.exe

test2.exe:     file format pei-i386

Sections:
Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File off  Algn
  0 AUTO          00008000  00401000  00401000  00000400  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
  1 .idata        00000600  00409000  00409000  00008400  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
  2 DGROUP        00001200  0040a000  0040a000  00008a00  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
  3 .bss          00000a00  0040c000  0040c000  00000000  2**4
                  ALLOC
  4 .reloc        00000800  0040d000  0040d000  00009c00  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, DATA, DEBUGGING

Yamin

@ 2003-09-18 22:44   ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2003-09-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: y2bismil; +Cc: gdb

y2bismil@engmail.uwaterloo.ca writes:
> Yep, I've rechecked my options, and in both the compile and link time, I have
> the debug swtich to use DWARF.

Can you post the output produced by running 'objdump -h' on your
executable file?

* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 21:54 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-09-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, y2bismil

Well, I think you are stuck:

  gdb doesn't support open watcom.
  open watcom has no documentation that I could find about gdb.
  google "open watcom gdb" did not find anybody talking about
    using open watcom and gdb.

You could ask on an open watcom list if open watcom interacts with gdb,
and if anyone has actually used that combination.

I suggest that you check out the debugger that comes with Open Watcom.

I will file an enhancement request against gdb to add support for
open watcom.  It is a lot of work to add support for a new compiler;
someone would have to volunteer to do this work.

Open Watcom is licensed under the Sybase Open Watcom Public License,
which is an OSI-approved open source license.  So I think it would be
reasonable to consider adding support for this compiler, if a volunteer
steps up.

Michael C

* Re: open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 21:20 ` y2bismil
From: y2bismil @ 2003-09-18 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

@ 2003-09-18 21:11 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-09-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, y2bismil

Check the switches for open watcom.  It's likely that you need to
specify debug switches both at compile time *and* link time when
building your program.

gdb automatically detects debug type.

I know that other people have used dwarf 1, and I ran the gdb test
suite on it earlier this year.  So I know that gdb does automatically
detect and use dwarf-1 debug information with gcc -gdwarf.

Michael C

* open watcom
@ 2003-09-18 20:21 y2bismil
From: y2bismil @ 2003-09-18 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hey guys,

We're exploring a new development environment here, and as part of the
migration process, I was wondering if its possible to debug code genered by the
open watcom compiler using gdb.  I've tried unsuccessfully setting the
debugging in watcom to:  watcom, codeview, and dwarf, but to no avail.

Does anyone know the location of a list of supported debug format by gdb?

thanks all,

Yamin

This mail sent through www.mywaterloo.ca