public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* single-stepping remote target fails
@ 2005-06-23 15:20 Chad Phillips
From: Chad Phillips @ 2005-06-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I have rewritten basic support for MCORE for gdb-6.3.  Also, I have
written a debug proxy application that accepts 'remote' connections from
GDB via. socket and then manipulates the target using its JTAG/BDM
interface.  Now for the problems....

Context: Code being executed on the target is in Flash.  As a result, I
have only supported hardware breakpoints at this time.  Two hardware
breakpoints are available through the MCORE JTAG port.

Problem 1.
Single stepping in C source only steps by single machine instruction.  I
had expected that GDB might try to set breakpoints on the next
instruction and then continue, but I see no such requests from GDB.  How
does GDB cause single steps through C (any high level language) source?

Problem 2.
When I issue the step command (or si, n, ni) to the target, GDB does a
_lot_ of memory reads.  It reads from the start of main up to the
current PC (in main).  What is it doing, and how can I make it stop?

Thanks,
Chad