public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Strange address in the stack trace
@ 2012-11-09  9:47 santoshp
From: santoshp @ 2012-11-09  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi All,While debugging a crash dump using GDB (7.2) on RHEL-5, one address
looks strange to me. i.e. valueChanges variable. The same variable getting
passed to frames but shows different addresses in different frames. #1
0x00002aaaab8a163a in MR_AnyVal (this=0x2aaab9000020, *o=@0x52*) at
repos/mr/anyvali.c:36#2 0x00002aaaabb0fa13 in
MR_MonitoringSystem::valueChanges2monValueChanges
(*valueChanges=@0x465a5700*) at repos/mr/MR_MonitoredValue.h:61#3
0x00002aaaabb1065b in MR_MonitoringSystem::processChangesStandard
(*valueChanges=@0x465a5700*) at repos/mr/MR_MonitoringSystem.c:280#4
0x00002aaaabbb026c in MR_Accessor::notify (this=, *valueChanges=@0x52*) at
repos/accessors/MR_Accessor.c:1573Can somebody please comment on this
whether this is from OS (because it's optimized build) or the behavior from
GDB?Thanks,Santosh

* Re: Strange address in the stack trace
@ 2012-11-13 20:35 ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2012-11-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: santoshp; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM, santoshp <santosh.pradhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,While debugging a crash dump using GDB (7.2) on RHEL-5, one address
> looks strange to me. i.e. valueChanges variable. The same variable getting
> passed to frames but shows different addresses in different frames. #1
> 0x00002aaaab8a163a in MR_AnyVal (this=0x2aaab9000020, *o=@0x52*) at
> repos/mr/anyvali.c:36#2 0x00002aaaabb0fa13 in
> MR_MonitoringSystem::valueChanges2monValueChanges
> (*valueChanges=@0x465a5700*) at repos/mr/MR_MonitoredValue.h:61#3
> 0x00002aaaabb1065b in MR_MonitoringSystem::processChangesStandard
> (*valueChanges=@0x465a5700*) at repos/mr/MR_MonitoringSystem.c:280#4
> 0x00002aaaabbb026c in MR_Accessor::notify (this=, *valueChanges=@0x52*) at
> repos/accessors/MR_Accessor.c:1573Can somebody please comment on this
> whether this is from OS (because it's optimized build) or the behavior from
> GDB?Thanks,Santosh

Hi.  Sounds like this is just the effect of debugging optimized code.
GDB can only print a value as the debug info specifies, and when
debugging optimized code often the debug info is inaccurate.  GIGO.

* Re: Strange address in the stack trace
@ 2012-11-14 10:30   ` santoshp
From: santoshp @ 2012-11-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Thanks Doug, I was thinking the same.