public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Elena Zannoni <ezannoni@redhat.com>
To: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: vast numbers of unimplemented MI commands.
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Bob Rossi writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just was looking through the MI commands. Many of them in mi-cmds.c
 > are unimplemented. Is this how 6.0 will be released? or will most of
 > them get implemented first?

The set of MI commands was decided before there really was any GUI
using them. We thought it would be a reasonable set of commands that
would allow a GUI to do what it needed. We decided to implement them
as the need would arise. It turned out in reality that not all those
commands were necessary.

 > Also, how does eclipse interface with MI if so many commands are
 > missing? For example, -file-list-exec-source-files returns all of the
 > source files that the inferior is made up of. Does eclipse just not give
 > the user this info, or would it parse the CLI output?

I am not sure what Eclipse does in this case. You can look at the
debugger plugin code at http://www.eclipse.org/cdt. I suspect that
that information may come from some other part of the Eclipse IDE.

 > I am bringing this up because I plan on starting my own MI integration
 > and ran into this problem. I would be willing to help implement any of
 > these missing commands, but I was just wondering if there is any
 > incentive on the GDB team to finish off the task.

Realistically, not much else will go into 6.0, except bug fixes, since
6.0 will happen in a week or so. There is always 6.1.

elena