public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Hannes Domani <ssbssa@yahoo.de>
To: Simon Sobisch <simonsobisch@gnu.org>,
	 Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>
Cc: Pedro Alves <pedro@palves.net>,
	 "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Is corefile support for missing on Win32?
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:28:46 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

 Am Dienstag, 7. Februar 2023, 21:19:29 MEZ hat Christian Biesinger via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> Folgendes geschrieben:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 5:36 AM Simon Sobisch <simonsobisch@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > This is especially a call to Christian Biesinger to ask if there was any
> > more work on "supporting minidump with GDB"; but there's more content
> > "inline" in the text, too.
>
> Yes unfortunately I have not continued work on that branch. It is more
> of a proof of concept at this point, most types of data are not
> implemented yet, outside of registers and memory.
>
> I also did not love the way I integrated minidump support with the
> rest of GDB. It was done as a new BFD target and converted minidump
> info to ELF coredump-style in-memory sections. That's fine for memory
> but feels awkward for register data... and possibly requires special
> code for each arch/OS combination (e.g. amd64_linux_gregset_reg_offset
> may be different from the Windows and Mac equivalent, and of course is
> different from x86 and ARM)
>
> I haven't looked into mapping loaded DLLs and threads.
>
> Realistically this will need someone else to pick up this work, unless
> I unexpectedly find myself with a large amount of free time.
>
> (Obviously this does not support PDB debug symbols, another project
> that would be interesting to do. Perhaps it could use the Python
> symbol support for which I saw patches go by the other week)
>
> In the meantime you may be interested in this tool:
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/main/docs/linux/minidump_to_core.md

I implemented minidump support for gdb some time ago.

The main commits are these:
https://github.com/ssbssa/gdb/compare/b4535a016c98a5a15622bbdcbcd845e3387413f5...8961acde2b6521f629ddaa1880ba312b998351eb

Since I didn't know any better, I just put the code into coffgen.c, which
was probably not a good idea.

You can try it out with my builds here:
 https://github.com/ssbssa/gdb/releases

Regards