public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-04 18:04 Scott Bambrough
From: Scott Bambrough @ 2000-09-04 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Nick Clifton, Andrew Cagney

The autobuild at netwinder.org fails with the following error:

/home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltconfig:
/home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltcf-c.sh: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed
Configure in /home/build-rpm/BUILD/obj-gdb-20000904/opcodes failed, exiting.

The problem is a cvs checkout of gdb is not updating this file.  It isn't
there so the build fails.  I had a look at the modules file, and it is
included in the alias src-support, which is included in gdb-support which is
used by the gdb module.  If I update my binutils tree, and my insight trees
the file is not checked out, though I expect it to be.  If I check it out
manually by cvs co ltcf-c.sh, it works.

Any ideas?

Scott

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-04 18:11 ` H . J . Lu
From: H . J . Lu @ 2000-09-04 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bambrough; +Cc: gdb, Nick Clifton, Andrew Cagney

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:04:02PM -0400, Scott Bambrough wrote:
> The autobuild at netwinder.org fails with the following error:
>
> /home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltconfig:
> /home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltcf-c.sh: No such file or directory
> configure: error: libtool configure failed
> Configure in /home/build-rpm/BUILD/obj-gdb-20000904/opcodes failed, exiting.
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.88907 (%build)
>
> The problem is a cvs checkout of gdb is not updating this file.  It isn't
> there so the build fails.  I had a look at the modules file, and it is
> included in the alias src-support, which is included in gdb-support which is
> used by the gdb module.  If I update my binutils tree, and my insight trees
> the file is not checked out, though I expect it to be.  If I check it out
> manually by cvs co ltcf-c.sh, it works.

It works for me. I did

# cd gdb
# cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src co gdb

to update my gdb checkout tree. src/ltcf-c.sh is there.

H.J.

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-08 10:04 David Taylor
From: David Taylor @ 2000-09-08 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Jason Molenda, scottb, hjl, nickc, gdb

    Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:16:14 +1100
    From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

    Richard Earnshaw wrote:

    > dan@cgsoftware.com said:
    > > You'd have to use cvs update -dP, in the root dir, but this would then
    > > procede to download other stuff you don't want that is in that cvs
    > > repository. In this case, your only option is to use checkout.
    >
    > cvs update -l; cvs update -dP *
    >
    > does the trick for me.  It would miss a new directory being added at the
    > top level, but that's a pretty rare event that I'm prepared to live with.

    Ah, I think that is because your top level src/CVS directory contains
    the file Entries.Static (please don't ask me exactly what that does, I
    don't know :-).

Entries.Static isn't anything mysterious.  It's created by cvs when
you check out part of a directory, but not all of it.

It tells future invocations of CVS to not automatically add to that
directory any files that it finds that aren't already in the sandbox.
So, if you check out all of the src repository rather than just the
gdb or binutils or cgen or whatever module, then Entries.Static won't
get created and updates will notice new files.

If you want new files to be noticed but don't want to check out
everything (i.e., you want all the regular files within a directory,
but not all the subdirectories of the directory), you can just delete
the Entries.Static file and they'll get added the next time you do an
update.

Entries.Static is documented somewhere; if not on the man page, then
possibly on the FAQ (I don't have the CVS documentation handy right at
the moment).

    Per H.J's comment, the ``correct'' way to do the update is to do a ``cvs
    -d `cat src/CVS/Root` co gdb'' in the directory above.  It was once
    suggested that there be a src/etc/gdb_update file (modeled loosely after
    gcc_update).  I've no problems with this.  I suspect, though, it would
    be a lot simpler than GCC's gcc_update as GDB doesn't have those nasty
    interdependencies found in GCC.

I'm not familiar with gcc_update; would someone be willing to describe
it?  Thanks.

    enjoy,
	    Andrew

David

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-08  0:19   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-09-08  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: scottb, hjl, nickc, gdb

@ 2000-09-06  3:15     ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2000-09-06  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: rearnsha

@ 2000-09-05 19:20   ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2000-09-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: scottb, hjl, nickc, gdb

Jason Molenda wrote:

> I looked into this a bit (after sending my mail note saying there should
> be no problem, of course :-).  I can reproduce Scott's reported problem.
>
> An update with the an SSH or pserver access methods does not pick
> up files added in the src/ directory.  I honestly don't know why.
>
> It doesn't have anything to do with the modules file - that file
> is only relevant at check-out time; after that, cvs knows nothing
> of the module you checked out.

This has been true of cvs for a long time.  For whatever reason, new
top-level files in a module aren't created upon update, even if the
module has been updated properly.  We don't usually notice because
most top-level additions are optional packages, and because it's
rare to have anything new at the top level.

Stan

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-05 19:08 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-09-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scottb, hjl, nickc, gdb

I looked into this a bit (after sending my mail note saying there should
be no problem, of course :-).  I can reproduce Scott's reported problem.

An update with the an SSH or pserver access methods does not pick
up files added in the src/ directory.  I honestly don't know why.

It doesn't have anything to do with the modules file - that file
is only relevant at check-out time; after that, cvs knows nothing
of the module you checked out.

I poked around trying to figure out what is going on this this
directory, but failed (or rather, I have to get back to my real
work :-).  For what it's worth, though, this behavior we're seeing
with the top level of the /cvs/src directory is neither expected
nor correct.  Something is up with the RCS files here.  Or maybe
there is some odd case of cvs that I don't understand and it's
coming up here, but that's not as likely.

As people have suggested, check out binutils/gdb again from the top
level as a workaround.

Jason

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-05 18:21 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-09-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scottb, hjl, nickc, gdb

I haven't been following this thread, but...

scottb> Actually on further testing, it gets me the file on checkout, but not
scottb> on an update.

hjl> You have to use checkout on binutils and gdb.

It isn't all that horrible.  A 'checkout' will act like an update if the
tree is already populated by files.

If you normally do

 % cd /somewhere/src
 % cvs update

do this instead:

 % cd /somewhere
 % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src co gdb
 % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src co binutils

and you'll see it pulling over only the new/updated files/directories
in to your tree.

It is a bit less efficient to use a checkout instead of an update.
The update will send deltas (patches) over the wire to update your
work area, whereas a checkout sends the files in their entirety.

In either case, compressing the cvs operation is always a good
idea. Add  the '-z9' command line option directly after 'cvs',
or put

  cvs -q -z9

in your $HOME/.cvsrc.

Jason

PS-  If you guys are talking about a file in the top-level directory,
then a checkout is not necessary, an update will pick it up.  The only
thing an update won't get you are newly created directories.  If an
update _isn't_ getting some file, I'd look over your CVS/Entries file
in that directory to see if there might be something in there that is
confusing cvs.  This behavior does not sound correct.

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-05 14:41   ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2000-09-05 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bambrough; +Cc: Nick Clifton, gdb, ac131313

You'd have to use cvs update -dP, in the root dir, but this would then
procede to download other stuff you don't want that is in that cvs
repository.
In this case, your only option is to use checkout.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000,
Scott Bambrough wrote:

> Actually on further testing, it gets me the file on checkout, but not on an
> update.
>
> Scott
>
> Nick Clifton wrote:
> >
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > : The autobuild at netwinder.org fails with the following error:
> > :
> > : /home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltconfig:
> > : /home/build-rpm/BUILD/gdb/opcodes/../ltcf-c.sh: No such file or directory
> > : configure: error: libtool configure failed
> > : Configure in /home/build-rpm/BUILD/obj-gdb-20000904/opcodes failed, exiting.
> > : Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.88907 (%build)
> > :
> > : The problem is a cvs checkout of gdb is not updating this file.  It isn't
> > : there so the build fails.  I had a look at the modules file, and it is
> > : included in the alias src-support, which is included in gdb-support which is
> > : used by the gdb module.  If I update my binutils tree, and my insight trees
> > : the file is not checked out, though I expect it to be.  If I check it out
> > : manually by cvs co ltcf-c.sh, it works.
> > :
> > : Any ideas?
> >
> > Strange.  It seems to work for us.  Maybe this is a CVS bug ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >         Nick

* Re: src/ltcf-c.sh
@ 2000-09-05 14:19   ` H . J . Lu