public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <chastain@cygnus.com>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb test results web page
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Tom Tromey writes:
Tom> Can you suggest how to do this?  I don't see a way to tell the two
Tom> kinds of files apart.

Here are some differences to key on for gdb.sum versus gdb.log:

  A gdb.log file has several '^Using' lines in the first few lines.

  A gdb.log file ends with the line '^runtest completed ...'

You could also parse the '^# of ...' totals near the end of the file,
and compare them with the count you get by grepping.  If the counts do
not match you could reject the file.  That would protect against lots of
kinds of user errors, script shortcomings, and bogus input files.

Tom> Hmm.  One approach would be to fix dejagnu so that pass/fail
Tom> indications always start on a new line.  At least, this doesn't seem
Tom> unreasonable to me.

Ouch, an interface problem.  You are suggesting we change this:

  Program exited with code 01.^M
  (gdb) PASS: gdb.base/a2-run.exp: run "run" with no args

To this:

  Program exited with code 01.^M
  (gdb)
  PASS: gdb.base/a2-run.exp: run "run" with no args

I have two concerns.  First, if we make this change in Dejagnu, it affects
all tools tested with Dejagnu.  And second, it means that nobody can enter
any test results until this change gets made and propagated in Dejagnu.

So I'm more inclined to say: leave the sender [dejagnu] alone, and change
the receiver to be more liberal.

Michael