public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: [5.1] The 5.1 release process
@ 2001-03-21 15:59 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB Discussion

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:43:57PM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Late last year it was suggested that the process to follow for the next
>GDB release should be changed slightly.
>
>The suggestion was (I honestly don't remember where it came from):
>
>	o	a test results page be created
> 		http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gdb.cgi
>		(Chris Faylor and Tom Tromey did this)

Just a note:  Michael Chastain has found that there are some problems
with this currently.  It looks like the database suffers from some
corruption.  I guess I'm going to have to find the time to see what
is causing this sometime soon.

cgf

* [5.1] The 5.1 release process
@ 2001-03-21 15:59 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-03-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB Discussion

Hello,

Late last year it was suggested that the process to follow for the next
GDB release should be changed slightly.

The suggestion was (I honestly don't remember where it came from):

	o	a test results page be created
 		http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gdb.cgi
		(Chris Faylor and Tom Tromey did this)

	o	people, at least once a week, post
		results for their favorite target.

The idea being that, instead of me wading through tones of e-mail, I
could instead just glance at the test results page and determine if
things were ok.

With that in mind, I'd like to propose the following as the 5.1 release
process.

	o	people start uploading test
		results for their favorite target
		using the GDB *snapshots*.

	o	Once that process has settled down
		(the pages are filling, and the results
		are deamed ok) I'll cut a 5.1 branch.

		The snapshot process would be tweeked
		so that it took things from the branch.

	o	People continue to upload test results
		but now based on the branch.

	o	In theory, the criteria for rolling out
		a 5.1 draft, is that the test
		results after the branch are no worse
		than those before the branch - something
		that can be determined by a quick web
		browse.

		(In theory that is.  You can now all sit
		back and laugh :-)

From memory there is one exception - djgpp for which the testsuite
doesn't directly work.  It should be possible (with some non-trivial
effort) to set up tests for that target using a UNIX build environment
and dejagnu's test harness.

	Andrew

* Re: [5.1] The 5.1 release process
@ 2001-03-21 15:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2001-03-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:43:57 -0500
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>
> >From memory there is one exception - djgpp for which the testsuite
> doesn't directly work.  It should be possible (with some non-trivial
> effort) to set up tests for that target using a UNIX build environment
> and dejagnu's test harness.

I cannot go that way, since I don't have an easy access to a
cross-environment, and don't have time and resources to set it up from
scratch.

I suggested a semi-kludgey solution for that in the past, but it was
rejected because it was deemed not clean enough.  Unfortunately, that
not-so-clean way is the only one that is practical for me; volunteers
are welcome to do better.  (I still intend to do what I suggested back
then, but unless The Powers That Be change their minds, the results of
that effort will remain private to me, instead of becoming part of the
GDB distro.)