public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Threads GDB 5.2 Linux Help Needed
@ 2002-06-26 10:24 Glenn Chisholm
From: Glenn Chisholm @ 2002-06-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

G'Day,
         I am currently working on a system that has gdb 5.2 when I debug a
threaded program it acts like I have no thread support. However if I take
the exact same gdb binary and the same program onto another host it works.

         Now I realize that I could be hitting 1000 different things
machine hopping however here it is on a working system:

 > ./gdb a.out
GNU gdb 5.2
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /local/gchishol/gdb/bin/a.out
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 15070)]
[New Thread 2049 (LWP 15079)]
[New Thread 1026 (LWP 15080)]
[New Thread 2051 (LWP 15081)]

Here it is on the non working system:

# ./gdb a.out
GNU gdb 5.2
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /local/local1/core_dir/a.out

Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
0x2585ede6 in sigsuspend () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

For the life of me I can not work out what is happening. The libthread_db
seems to be available on both hosts. When I strace I can see the non
working system open the library on both hosts. In this case it is the
pthread.c from the gdb testsuite. The gdb is 5.2 built on the working
system, the other does not have a compiler. Am I missing a library? A clue?

Can some one please point me at a starting point to get this working? Where
should I look what libraries should I check? What debug can I watch? Anyone
got a beer?

glenn

* Re: Threads GDB 5.2 Linux Help Needed
@ 2002-06-26 10:38 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2002-06-26 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Chisholm; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:16:07AM -0700, Glenn Chisholm wrote:
> G'Day,
>         I am currently working on a system that has gdb 5.2 when I debug a
> threaded program it acts like I have no thread support. However if I take
> the exact same gdb binary and the same program onto another host it works.
>
>         Now I realize that I could be hitting 1000 different things
> machine hopping however here it is on a working system:
>
> > ./gdb a.out
> GNU gdb 5.2
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /local/gchishol/gdb/bin/a.out
> [New Thread 1024 (LWP 15070)]
> [New Thread 2049 (LWP 15079)]
> [New Thread 1026 (LWP 15080)]
> [New Thread 2051 (LWP 15081)]
>
> Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
>
> Here it is on the non working system:
>
> # ./gdb a.out
> GNU gdb 5.2
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /local/local1/core_dir/a.out
>
> Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
> 0x2585ede6 in sigsuspend () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb)
>
> For the life of me I can not work out what is happening. The libthread_db
> seems to be available on both hosts. When I strace I can see the non
> working system open the library on both hosts. In this case it is the
> pthread.c from the gdb testsuite. The gdb is 5.2 built on the working
> system, the other does not have a compiler. Am I missing a library? A clue?
>
> Can some one please point me at a starting point to get this working? Where
> should I look what libraries should I check? What debug can I watch? Anyone
> got a beer?

Are you using the same library versions?  I suspect you have a bad
glibc version on one host.  If you have ltrace available, see if the
dlsym() calls in GDB fail (or use GDB on GDB to determine this).