public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* HEADS UP: converting the i386 to the new frame unwinding stuff
@ 2003-03-02 17:52 Mark Kettenis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2003-03-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: cfg, thropej, rjl, peter.schauer, brobecker

Folks,

I've been working on making the i386 target use the new frame
unwinding stuff.  I'm at a stage where I'm seeing no regressions on
i386-unknown-freebsd4.7.  So I'd like to check my work in, in the not
too distant future.  However, this is probably going to cause some
fallout amongst the other targets.

As far as I can see *BSD, GNU/Linux, GNU/Hurd, the various System
V-derived systems (including Solaris 2.x), Netware, DJGPP, Cygwin, and
the various embedded targets should be fine.

My changes will break the various Sequent Symmetry targets, and I'll
probably leave them broken (which they probably already are).

I'll see whether I can fix LynxOS before actually committing the
patch.

However, Interix will need some serious work.  The frame methods it
redefines will have to be replaced by *_frame_pc_unwind and
*_frame_id_unwind functions.  Should I leave that to you Joel, or
would you like me to write some initial versions and leave the
necessary testing and bug-fixing to you?

Mark