public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* command targe child question , help needed!!
@ 2003-03-03 10:01 msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-03 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I think this is the right command I have to use in order to connect gdb with
an external proccess. As said in the help.
But , this is my case:
I've made a simulator of a whole board with it's processor. I can run it as a
process , and I want to know a little bit more about how to connect that with
gdb. In the documentation there's no more said about how does target child
work , and I would like to know, if it's possible , the way this command
works.
The format of the packets in this communication, the way I have to use it, and
how exactly should I modify a program that reads from a simulated UART, to
take the outputs from the gnu.
It's REALLY important for me a little help with this. If I should explain more
about the simulator or the problem , please tell me!! but answer me anyway!!

I'm totally stopped at this point.
Thank you very much,
Miguel.

* Re: command targe child question , help needed!!
@ 2003-03-03 13:34 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msarasa; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:02:00AM +0100, msarasa@fh-konstanz.de wrote:

> I think this is the right command I have to use in order to connect gdb with
> an external proccess. As said in the help.
> But , this is my case:
> I've made a simulator of a whole board with it's processor. I can run it as a
> process , and I want to know a little bit more about how to connect that with
> gdb. In the documentation there's no more said about how does target child
> work , and I would like to know, if it's possible , the way this command
> works.
> The format of the packets in this communication, the way I have to use it, and
> how exactly should I modify a program that reads from a simulated UART, to
> take the outputs from the gnu.
> It's REALLY important for me a little help with this. If I should explain more
> about the simulator or the problem , please tell me!! but answer me anyway!!
>
> I'm totally stopped at this point.

Target child is what you would use to debug the simulator.  If you
want to debug the simulated processor, then you probably want to
support the remote protocol in the simulator and use "target
remote".

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: command targe child question , help needed!!
@ 2003-03-03 13:54   ` msarasa
From: msarasa @ 2003-03-03 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

Zitat von Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:02:00AM +0100, msarasa@fh-konstanz.de wrote:
> >
> > I think this is the right command I have to use in order to connect gdb
> with
> > an external proccess. As said in the help.
> > But , this is my case:
> > I've made a simulator of a whole board with it's processor. I can run it as
> > process , and I want to know a little bit more about how to connect that
> with
> > gdb. In the documentation there's no more said about how does target child
>
> > work , and I would like to know, if it's possible , the way this command
> > works.
> > The format of the packets in this communication, the way I have to use it,
> and
> > how exactly should I modify a program that reads from a simulated UART, to
>
> > take the outputs from the gnu.
> > It's REALLY important for me a little help with this. If I should explain
> more
> > about the simulator or the problem , please tell me!! but answer me
> anyway!!
> >
> > I'm totally stopped at this point.
>
> Target child is what you would use to debug the simulator.  If you
> want to debug the simulated processor, then you probably want to
> support the remote protocol in the simulator and use "target
> remote".
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

This is what I have:
A gnu development that debugs an architecture. That is , gnu that communicates
with a physical external board with a hyperstone E1 chip , via serial link.
I have too a simulator that acts exactly as this board. It reads/writes its
input/output in a simulated UART. I can chage this to reading/writing
elsewhere, but, i don't know exactly how to connect this with the gdb serial
protocol. Should I modify gdb code, or should I use a specific command. I
thought I could use the target child command to tell the gnu to communicate
not to the board but to the board simulator process. But maybe I din't
understand that properly as English is not my languange.
I think , there are two functions called send_pkt and read_pakt (or similar)
that I could modify too to force gnu to read/write in a virtual UART.
But if it's possible I would like to use an option from this target command to
communicate my simulator program with the gdb.

Sorry for my english , I'll hope you could understand all. Thank you very much
for your answer!!!
Best regards! miguel

* Re: command targe child question , help needed!!
@ 2003-03-03 14:02     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msarasa; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 02:55:03PM +0100, msarasa@fh-konstanz.de wrote:
> Zitat von Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:02:00AM +0100, msarasa@fh-konstanz.de wrote:
> > >
> > > I think this is the right command I have to use in order to connect gdb
> > with
> > > an external proccess. As said in the help.
> > > But , this is my case:
> > > I've made a simulator of a whole board with it's processor. I can run it as
> > > process , and I want to know a little bit more about how to connect that
> > with
> > > gdb. In the documentation there's no more said about how does target child
> >
> > > work , and I would like to know, if it's possible , the way this command
> > > works.
> > > The format of the packets in this communication, the way I have to use it,
> > and
> > > how exactly should I modify a program that reads from a simulated UART, to
> >
> > > take the outputs from the gnu.
> > > It's REALLY important for me a little help with this. If I should explain
> > more
> > > about the simulator or the problem , please tell me!! but answer me
> > anyway!!
> > >
> > > I'm totally stopped at this point.
> >
> > Target child is what you would use to debug the simulator.  If you
> > want to debug the simulated processor, then you probably want to
> > support the remote protocol in the simulator and use "target
> > remote".
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Jacobowitz
> > MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer
> >

> This is what I have:
> A gnu development that debugs an architecture. That is , gnu that communicates
> with a physical external board with a hyperstone E1 chip , via serial link.
> I have too a simulator that acts exactly as this board. It reads/writes its
> input/output in a simulated UART. I can chage this to reading/writing
> elsewhere, but, i don't know exactly how to connect this with the gdb serial
> protocol. Should I modify gdb code, or should I use a specific command. I
> thought I could use the target child command to tell the gnu to communicate
> not to the board but to the board simulator process. But maybe I din't
> understand that properly as English is not my languange.
> I think , there are two functions called send_pkt and read_pakt (or similar)
> that I could modify too to force gnu to read/write in a virtual UART.
> But if it's possible I would like to use an option from this target command to
> communicate my simulator program with the gdb.
>
> Sorry for my english , I'll hope you could understand all. Thank you very much
> for your answer!!!
> Best regards! miguel

See my previous answer.  Your simulator must support a GDB "remote"
protocol in order to do this (or RDI, etc.).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz