public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* I/O mechanism in libGDB
@ 2003-03-09 11:24 Nimesh D Chanchani
From: Nimesh D Chanchani @ 2003-03-09 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I found your id from google groups. Thank god i found it.
well... I am required to upgrade gdb implementation 4.17 for zsp

processor to libGDB implementation for GDB 5.2.

I was going through API specification of libGDB in the one of the
only

2 documents available on the web.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/libgdb/libgdb_toc.html#SEC4

I had some queries about the i/o mechanism used in libGDB .

what my understanding is that when for example the GDB gives the

information on the terminal about (say)  a recently created
break

point, it would have to be parsed by a libGDB API function and
give it

to the GUI in a "STANDARD FORMAT" irrespective of the version of
GDB

being used.

for this the document

http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/libgdb/libgdb_toc.html#SEC4

specifies that a structure of function pointers should be used
for

output.

struct gdb_output_vector
{
   /* output */
   void (*put_string) (struct gdb_output_vector *, char * str);
}

I couldn't quiet understand the need for such a complicated
mechanism ,

more over I couldn't get the significance of both the input
parametres.
actually i didn't get how does one implement the i/o mechanism in
the

mentioned way.

can you please help me out with this......any help will be
greatly

appreciated.

Thanking in advance

Nimesh Chanchani

* Re: I/O mechanism in libGDB
@ 2003-03-25 22:28 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-03-25 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nimesh D Chanchani; +Cc: gdb

> Hi,
>
> I found your id from google groups. Thank god i found it.
> well... I am required to upgrade gdb implementation 4.17 for zsp
>
> processor to libGDB implementation for GDB 5.2.
>
> I was going through API specification of libGDB in the one of the only
>
> 2 documents available on the web.
>
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/libgdb/libgdb_toc.html#SEC4

Um, that is 10 years old :-/  You should look through:
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/documentation/
In particular the internals (where it describes the ui-out object), and
the GDB/MI section of the user guide.

Andrew