public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb:  fatal:  libncurses.so.5:  open failed:  No such file or dir ectory
@ 2003-03-21 17:50 Mary Burak
From: Mary Burak @ 2003-03-21 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gdb@sources.redhat.com'

Hi,

I've installed gdb 5.3 on a Solaris 2.8 machine by running:

./configure
./make
./make install

No errors were encountered during any of these runs.  I set my CC to gcc,
then ran gdb as root and received the error:

ld.so.1:  gdb:  fatal:  libncurses.so.5: open failed: No such file or
directory
Killed

I don't have the libncurses.so.5, and can't find it for Solaris, only Linux.
I searched the gdb web site, but didn't see anything that says what to do
about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Mary Burak
Technical Support Engineer
NetIQ Corporation
3553 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95134
Support: 503-223-3023
mailto: support@netiq.com

* Re: gdb:  fatal:  libncurses.so.5:  open failed:  No such file or dir ectory
@ 2003-03-21 18:02 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-21 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Burak; +Cc: 'gdb@sources.redhat.com'

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 09:52:23AM -0800, Mary Burak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed gdb 5.3 on a Solaris 2.8 machine by running:
>
> ./configure
> ./make
> ./make install
>
> No errors were encountered during any of these runs.  I set my CC to gcc,
> then ran gdb as root and received the error:
>
> ld.so.1:  gdb:  fatal:  libncurses.so.5: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed
>
> I don't have the libncurses.so.5, and can't find it for Solaris, only Linux.
> I searched the gdb web site, but didn't see anything that says what to do
> about this.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the gdb binary references libncurses.so.5, you probably do have it
on your system somewhere that GCC is set up to search.  Check
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH and similar variables from the user account where you
built GDB.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: gdb:  fatal:  libncurses.so.5:  open failed:  No such file or dir ectory
@ 2003-03-21 18:11 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-03-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, mary.burak

It's likely that the account that built gdb has an LD_LIBRARY_PATH
that locates libncurses, but your root account does not have that
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  That would explain why 'root' is unable to find
libncurses.so.5 when gdb starts up.

First, try running gdb from the same account that you built it.
See if that works.

Then, check the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the
account that you built gdb and in the account that you are
running it.  (I'm not sure I've got the name right for Solaris --
do an 'env' command and look for anything with a similar name).

Hope this helps,

Michael C