public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Getting all breakable lines from gdb
@ 2003-03-21 13:26 Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-03-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I just had this thought.

Would it be possible to add a command to the MI interface that would
return a list of all possible line numbers in a file that the user could
set a breakpoint at?

Its really disgusting how other front ends get that information now.
When a new 800 line file is open, they run these commands

list 1,1000000
info line 1
info line 2
info line 800

They parse the output of each command to determine if a breakpoint can
be set.

I suggest a command that returns a list of line numbers for a given
file. Thus improving communication between the front end and gdb.
Believe me, the overhead on a 15,000 line file is noticable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bobby

* Re: Getting all breakable lines from gdb
@ 2003-03-21 16:56 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2003-03-21 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

> Would it be possible to add a command to the MI interface that would
> return a list of all possible line numbers in a file that the user could
> set a breakpoint at?

We suggested a new command that gives you a little bit more than just
the breakable lines, and Thierry Schneider implemented it. Nobody
reviewed the change yet because Thierry is waiting for his copyright
assignment application to be accepted (last I talked to him, he said
that he had received the paperwork, and sent it back).

See: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-03/msg00000.html
And then: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-03/msg00208.html
for a suggested patch.

The PC addresses are useful for GVD, because they use this information
to display the assembly window.

I was thinking that the next improvement to this command would be to
add switches like: -l -> line only, -p -> pc only, -sl/-el -> start
or end at line, -sp/-ep -> start or end at pc, etc...

--
Joel

* Re: Getting all breakable lines from gdb
@ 2003-03-22 22:32   ` Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-03-22 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 08:56:56AM -0800, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > Would it be possible to add a command to the MI interface that would
> > return a list of all possible line numbers in a file that the user could
> > set a breakpoint at?
>
> We suggested a new command that gives you a little bit more than just
> the breakable lines, and Thierry Schneider implemented it. Nobody
> reviewed the change yet because Thierry is waiting for his copyright
> assignment application to be accepted (last I talked to him, he said
> that he had received the paperwork, and sent it back).
>
> See: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-03/msg00000.html
> And then: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-03/msg00208.html
> for a suggested patch.

Wow, all i had to do was ask.