public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Cross-platform gdb/kgdb
@ 2003-03-24 21:41 John Groves
From: John Groves @ 2003-03-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...or tell me it
ain't worth trying...

I need to do some kernel debugging with an HP IA-64 system (hpux), and
it's the only hpux box available.  It would be cool to compile a
linux-resident gdb that would run as the kgdb control system for the
IA-64 hpux target.

FYI (you may know) hp maintains "kwdb" which is gdb/kgdb for hpux, so I
have the code for the target system. But hp hasn't tried cross-platform.

Q: Are the sources in the gdb build tree organized such that I can make
the target system include files available without them getting mixed up
with the host system includes?

Having run "./configure  --host=i386-unknown-linux --target=ia64-hp", I
note that files in the gdb directory need access to *target* system
include files; but I also see plenty of sources in that directory that
include stuff that should probably be local (fcntl, curses, stuff like
that).

Q: If it's not completely futile, where could I look for an example or
any helpful info?

Thanks,
John Groves

* Re: Cross-platform gdb/kgdb
@ 2003-03-25 16:35 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Groves; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:41:40PM -0600, John Groves wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...or tell me it
> ain't worth trying...
>
> I need to do some kernel debugging with an HP IA-64 system (hpux), and
> it's the only hpux box available.  It would be cool to compile a
> linux-resident gdb that would run as the kgdb control system for the
> IA-64 hpux target.
>
> FYI (you may know) hp maintains "kwdb" which is gdb/kgdb for hpux, so I
> have the code for the target system. But hp hasn't tried cross-platform.
>
> Q: Are the sources in the gdb build tree organized such that I can make
> the target system include files available without them getting mixed up
> with the host system includes?
>
> Having run "./configure  --host=i386-unknown-linux --target=ia64-hp", I
> note that files in the gdb directory need access to *target* system
> include files; but I also see plenty of sources in that directory that
> include stuff that should probably be local (fcntl, curses, stuff like
> that).
>
> Q: If it's not completely futile, where could I look for an example or
> any helpful info?

It should work; however, I do not know whether ia64-hpux is supported.
A cross debugger should _not_ need any headers from the target system
to build.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz