public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap
@ 2003-05-15 18:44 Smita
From: Smita @ 2003-05-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
I am trying to debug a program with gdb5.3
But, I keep getting this message:
Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap
0x0183ac7c in _sys_select ()

I keep getting this even if i continue.
Why am I seeing this? What is the solution to this?

Thanks a lot.
Smita

* Re: Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap
@ 2003-05-15 19:21 ` Tim Combs
From: Tim Combs @ 2003-05-15 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smita; +Cc: gdb

Sometimes this happens when the instruction you are trying to execute
is a breakpoint.  Do a x/i 0x0183ac7c and see what instruction you
are trying to execute.

Tim

@ 2022-04-16 13:54 FengLingDu
From: FengLingDu @ 2022-04-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello gdb:

First for english is not my native language, please excuse typing errors.
I have google a bit and found some clues on stackoveflow, but it seems useless to me.

I expect to find out how the singal works which depends on the PCNTL module,
so I decided to debug PHP-CLI binary with a demo php script with gdb,
and the debug environment is listed as below:

1. get php-cli binary by compiling from source with GCC 4.4.7
2. php version: 7.0.2
3. gdb version: 7.2-60.el6_4.1
4. system platform: CentOS 6.5

My trouble is:
it seems to be ok when I debug step-by-step forward,
but it will always throw the message like below after I send a kill -10 pid or else:
"Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.",
then I issue continuously the "finish" command attempting to jump out of the current function,
but it failed unless many many times command execution for "finish",
but event so,  it still reports the message metioned above again and again.

So what happened here and what does the meaning of the SIGTRAP ?
Need something else to provide? please tell me, thanks a lot.

Best regards, FengLingDu.

* Re: Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
@ 2012-07-24 17:05 ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2012-07-24 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Smith; +Cc: gdb

On 07/24/2012 04:12 AM, John Smith wrote:

> what is this  problem to be?

No way to tell with the provided info.  You say you "step", but
GDB is telling us it called a function in the program being debugged,
so it looks like more things were involved.

--
Pedro Alves

* Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
@ 2012-07-24  3:13 John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2012-07-24  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

hi,
    when  I  use  'step '  command  to  trace  into  a  function call
, gdb will tell me :

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.

The program being debugged was signaled while in a function called from GDB.
GDB has restored the context to what it was before the call.
To change this behavior use "set unwindonsignal off".
Evaluation of the expression containing the function

then I can not  use  'next' to step out  any function call,and
'finish' command  is no usefull .

what is this  problem to be?

thanks in advance!

* Re: Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap
@ 2005-09-20  5:08 ` divick kishore
From: divick kishore @ 2005-09-20  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajay Patel, ramana.radhakrishnan, gdb

Hi Ajay,
        my application is partially statically linked
and partially it is dynamically linked. And yes, I
dynamically link my application with a library which
uses NPTL library.
        Does statically linked applications pose this
problem when debugged? If yes, then I have no reason
to believe why it would be so, as statically linked
applications are nothing but archieved object files.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Divick

@ 2005-09-19 16:57 Ajay Patel
From: Ajay Patel @ 2005-09-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divick kishore, ramana.radhakrishnan, gdb

@ 2005-09-19 10:09   ` divick kishore

#0  <signal handler called>

@ 2005-09-19  7:56 ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-09-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divick kishore; +Cc: gdb

@ 2005-09-19  7:05 divick kishore
From: divick kishore @ 2005-09-19  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
   I am getting the above error when I am trying to
debug a 64 but application. I have no clue why it
happens. The exact message from gdb is as below. Any
suggestions?

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint
trap.
[Switching to Thread 2305843009239495296 (LWP 29455)]
<signal handler called>
(gdb) bt
#0  <signal handler called>