public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@chello.nl>
To: ac131313@redhat.com
Cc: eliz@elta.co.il, gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Merging i386newframe into mailine
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

   Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:28:33 -0400
   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>

   >> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:52:54 +0200 (CEST)
   >> From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@chello.nl>
   >>
   >> * Possibly breaking a few unmaintained i386 targets.
   >

   > Could the DJGPP (a.k.a. go32) target be one of those?
   >

   >> I think it's worth running these risks, especially since recent
   >> devlopments on Linux/i386 demand DWARF CFI support on the i386.
   >

   > OTOH, GDB 6 will have many valuable fixes, and it would be a pity to
   > deny those features from users of platforms that could be broken by
   > the merge.
   >
   > So how about waiting for 6.1 with the merge?

   (mark, correct?)
   I believe any potential i386 problems should be confined to things like
   signal handlers (unwinding through, or from them).

In general, signal handlers won't have DWARF CFI, at least not yet.
So this should work just as before.

   Basic break-main;run functionality should be fine (in fact slightly
   better because the non CFI unwinder was also improved).

Yup.  My major concern is that there is CFI out there that triggers
bugs in the CFI unwinder or that's simoly ourtight wrong.
Unfortunately the only way to find out seems to release the code.

So my intention is to bring the code over to newline.  It is a step
forward.  We can always disable the CFI unwinder before the release if
it causes too many problems.

Mark