public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* breakpoint on a non-executable line
       [not found] <3F4E35CB.3080300@redhat.com>
@ 2003-08-28 19:00 ` Jafa
From: Jafa @ 2003-08-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

I am seeing a problem/feature? of gdb (June top of trunk) where if you issue
a command to set a breakpoint on a non-executable line it will return the
line specified, regardless of where it actually set.

For example:

(gdb) b  /ubicom/toolchain/src/ld/ldmain.c:1
Breakpoint 2 at 0x41b800: file /ubicom/toolchain/src/ld/ldmain.c, line 1.

(It actually put the breakpoint on line 167).

Is this the desired behavior? I would have expected it to return success -
line 167.

Nick

* Re: breakpoint on a non-executable line
@ 2003-08-28 19:02   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-28 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jafa; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:00:02PM -0700, Jafa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am seeing a problem/feature? of gdb (June top of trunk) where if you issue
> a command to set a breakpoint on a non-executable line it will return the
> line specified, regardless of where it actually set.
>
> For example:
>
> (gdb) b  /ubicom/toolchain/src/ld/ldmain.c:1
> Breakpoint 2 at 0x41b800: file /ubicom/toolchain/src/ld/ldmain.c, line 1.
>
> (It actually put the breakpoint on line 167).
>
> Is this the desired behavior? I would have expected it to return success -
> line 167.

Do you know if this is a change?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: breakpoint on a non-executable line
@ 2003-08-28 20:20     ` Jafa
From: Jafa @ 2003-08-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

Hi Daniel,

> Do you know if this is a change?

yes, we moved to the top of trunk in December last year and started to see
the problem. The previous version was about 2001 and worked as I would
expect.

I can check the exact dates if you like, or I don't mind working through
it... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a deliberate change.

Thanks

Nick